Building Constructions 2 (E)
FAST-BHB003Acad. year: 2020/2021
The course follows up previous courses and its aim is to deepen the knowledge of students in the field of building design. It’s mainly focused on the design of horizontal load-bearing structures and foundations. While at the exact same time it’s expected to teach students about substructure, damp proof course, expansion joints and about protection against radon gas activity, among others.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The knowledge from the subject are focused on the structural
principles and own structures with materials application. Student
will be able to prepare basic design of building concept.
Knowledge of the subject BH001 Building Construction 1. At the same time, it is assumed knowledge of constructive geometry, structural mechanics, statics of building structures, elasticity and plasticity.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Horizontal load-bearing structures – functional and mechanical requirements. Connections of horizontal and vertical load-bearing structures. Spandrel beams. Vaults – structural solution, mechanical acting of vaults.
2. Horizontal load-bearing structures – cast-in-place slabs.
3. Horizontal load-bearing structures – prefabricated (precast) and half prefabricated slabs.
4. Horizontal load-bearing structures – timber joist ceilings, metal ceilings, composite slabs.
5. Overhanging and recessed structures – balcony, loggia, portico, oriel windows and cornices – material solutions, mechanical requirements, thermal design.
6. Groundworks and excavations. Founding soil. Construction and hydrogeological survey.
7. Shallow foundations – classification and structural solutions.
8. Shallow foundations – specific criterions of founding.
9. Deep foundations – classification and structural solutions. Retaining walls.
10. Foundation construction on property boundaries. Expansion joints, settlement joints and construction joints in load bearing and non-loadbearing structures.
11. Substructure. Damp proofing – basic criterion and requirements.
12. Damp proofing – specific/exceptional requirements. Protection against radon gas infiltration.
Acquisition of detailed view in building constructional systems. Acquisition of profound and detailed knowledge in part of building constructions applied to structural principles and own constructions with application of materials, vertical (bearing and non-load-bearing) and horizontal bearing structures including detailed adaptation of completion constructions and composite action.
Issue knowledge assuring preparedness to instruction in another grade of building construction and in following professional subjects.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.