Structural Analysis 1
FAST-BDA003Acad. year: 2020/2021
Moving load of static quantity of statically determinate frame structures. Solution using influence lines, analytic and kinematic method. Evaluation of influence lines and determination of extreme values.
Principle of virtual work. Clauses about virtual works reciprocity. Maxwell-Mohr integral. Solution of displacement and rotation of frame systems using method of unit forces, including the influence of temperature changes. Veresčagin’s rule.
Statically indeterminate structures. Degree of static indeterminacy. Solution methods. Force method. Elementary cantilever beam. Continuous girder is solved by three-torque equation. Moving load at continuous girder. Combinations of loads.
Planar frame using by force method, option of statically indeterminate values, canonical equations. Influence of shift of supports, effects of uniform and non-uniform temperature changes at frame structure. Utilization of shape symmetry.
Planar arc is solved by force method, influence of compression of line of arc, deflection load. Statically indeterminate truss girder is solved by force method.
Institute of Structural Mechanics (STM)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will learn the structural analysis of statically indeterminate bar structures by the force method, namely plane frames, planar bar systems, continuous girder, statically indeterminate trusses, including the effect of support relaxation and the temperature influence.
Linear algebra, fundaments of matrix calculus, solutions of systems of linear algebraic equations, vector calculus, analytic geometry, derivative of a function, the indefinite and definite integral, applications of the integral.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, content and outline of the subject. Moving load. Influence lines of static values of statically determinate frame structures.
2. Solution of kinematic method. Evaluation of influence lines and determination of extreme values. Criteria.
3. Meaning of statics, fundamental assumptions of solution. Distribution of load bearing building constructions. Planar frame structures.
4. Virtual work of internal and external forces. Lagrange’s principle of virtual works. Theorem about virtual works reciprocity. Maxwell-Mohr theorem, simplification of calculation.
5. Determination of displacement and rotation of straight and cranked girders using method of unit forces. Veresčagin’s rule. Influence of temperature changes on deformation of plate girders. Calculation of shift of truss girders using method of unit forces.
6. Methods of solution of statically indeterminate frame structures. Assessment of static indeterminacy. Interpretation of force method.
7. Planar frame is solved by force method. Option of static indeterminate values, canonical equations. Effect of uniform and non-uniform temperature changes of frame. Influence of shift of support.
8. Elementary statically indeterminate girder, influence of axis load.
9. Continuous plate girder, general form of three-moment equation for force and deflection load. Progress of internal forces.
10. Moving load acting on continuous girder. Influence lines. Combination of loads.
11. Utilization of shape symmetry of frame, decomposition of general load, substitution bonds. Curved bar.
12. Planar statically indeterminate arc solved by force method. Statically indeterminate truss girder solved by force method.
Explanation the principle of virtual work and theorem of reciprocity of virtual work. The calculation of deformations by the method of unit forces.
Information about the force method of structural analysis of statically indeterminate plane frames, planar bar systems, continuous girder, including the effect of support relaxation and the temperature influence.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans