FAST-BCA001Acad. year: 2020/2021
Select chapters of basic and physical chemistry, chemical bonds, kinetics of chemical reactions, thermochemistry, chemical equilibrium, dispersion systems, dissociation, pH value, hydrolysis, and electrochemistry.
Natural and secondary raw materials for building industry. Chemistry of glass. Air and hydraulic binders, production, chemical properties, setting and hardening. Corrosion of hardened binders and aggregates in the composite materials.
Chemical properties of other building materials, their degradation and protection.
Chemical and electrochemical properties of metals, their corrosion and protection.
Chemical properties of water, waste water, water for concrete production and impact water. Atmosphere, and air pollution.
Selected chapters of organic chemistry. Chemical composition and properties of wood, bitumen, carbon polymers and silicones.
Institute of Chemistry (CHE)
Nabízen zahradničním studentům
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student gets the aim of subject under control, i. e. the selected chapters of general, physical, inorganic and organic chemistry that are in relation to the chemistry of building materials and to the chemistry of water.
Atomic structure of the elements, periodic table, basic chemical laws, inorganic terminology, simple stoichiometric calculations, basic terms of organic chemistry, an overview of the hydrocarbons and their derivates, principals of organic compounds nomenclature.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Atomic mass, the mole, composition of nucleous, isotopes, radioactivity, atomic structure.
2. Quantum numbers, Pauli principle, Aufbau principle, Hund’s rule, periodic trends in atomic properties, periodic table.
3. Chemical bonds, polarity of bonds, chemical equations, stoichiometry, dissociation, pH.
4. Chemical kinetics, reaction rates, activated complex, catalysis, thermochemistry, chemical equilibrium.
5. Phase states of matter, gases, liquids, solids, crystallography.
6. Dispersions – gels, suspensions, aerosols, emulsion, colloids, real solutes, tezides.
7. Properties of selected inorganic compounds of carbon and silicon, chemistry and degradation of glass.
8. Chemical composition and properties of natural and secondary raw materials used i building industry
9. Production, composition and chemical properties of lime, hydraulic lime, gypsum plaster, Portland cement, and high alumina cement.
10. Corrosion of binders, protection against degradation processes.
11. Electrochemistry, galvanic cells, standard reduction potentials, electrolysis, metals and their corrosion.
12. Chemistry of water and atmosphere. Chemical composition of wood and deterioration of timber structures. Bitumens.
13. Composition of polymers based on the carbon chain, their chemical stability. Composition and properties of silicones, chemical durability.
The selected chapters of general and physical chemistry that are in relation to the chemistry of building materials.
Chemistry of inorganic and organic building materials, their chemical composition, processes of the formation of solid structure and the chemical corrosion processes.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans