FAST-BFA001Acad. year: 2020/2021
Earth’s interior and Earth’s crust, plate tectonic, subduction and rift zones,technical petrography – rock forming minerals, structures and textures of rocks affecting properties of rocks,igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks – formation, classification, properties and application of rocks in civil engineering practice (aggregates, building and ornamental stones),assessment of foundation soils composed of igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks,problems during construction caused by various types of foundation soils,endogenous geological processes – volcanic activity, earthquake, tectonic forces, folding, faults, cracks in rock environment and their affecting of construction, basics of structural geology,exogenous geological processes – weathering, erosion, geodynamic processes and their affecting of construction,basics of geomorphology, basics of hydrogeology – groundwater in construction site, geological maps, basics of regional geology of the Czech Republic – Bohemian massif, Western Carpathians, methods of engineering geological survey.
Institute of Geotechnics (GTN)
Nabízen zahradničním studentům
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The students will be able to determine basic types of rocks commonly used as foundation soil for construction including their properties and behaviour. They will acquire the knowledge necessary for identification and classification of endogeneous and exogeneous factors affecting the quality of the ground. Students will also obtain practical experience with the behaviour and properties of soils especially the influence of water on the change of their properties. They will also acquire the skill to desing and realize the survey of foundation soil for preliminary design.
Basic knowledge of science subjects at secondary school.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, Earth’s interior, Historical geology, basic rock classification, rock forming minerals and their properties.
2. Rock structure – generally; Igneous rock structure, basic types of plutonic and volcanic rocks.
3. Basic types of sedimentary rocks, properties, behaviour and application of sedimentary rocks.
4. Basic types of sedimentary rocks, properties, behaviour and application of sedimentary rocks.
5. Basic types of metamorphic rocks, properties, behaviour and application of metamorphic rocks.
6. Endogenous processes in the Earth’s crust.
7. Exogenous processes in the Earth’s crust.
9. Ground water and springs.
10. Geological maps and information sources, methods of investigation of foundation ground.
11. Basics of regional geology of the Bohemian massif and Western Carpathians on the territory of the Czech Republic.
12. Overview of basic types of foundation ground in relation to geological characteristics.
13. Basic tasks of engineering geology in construction in relation to environmental aspects. Exploatation of rocks and their application in building industry.
The students will be acquainting with basic types of rocks forming foundation soils, including natural processes affecting their quality in time (endogenous and exogenous processes). The basics of hydrogeology are also an integral part of the study including the explaining of groundwater influence on behaviour and properties of foundation soil. The students acquire the process of engineering geological investigation for foundation soils within the I. geotechnical category (Czech Standard 73 1001).
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-SI Bachelor's
specialization VS , 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPA-SI Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme BKC-SI Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPC-MI Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory