FAST-CJ002Acad. year: 2020/2021
The development of composite materials, composite materials division into basic types and their characteristics. Definition of composite material and the interpretation of the composite action. Variables defining properties of composites. Structural Composites division - manufacturing problems. Particle Composites and their distribution. Fiber composites, fiber matrix. Carbon, metal, glass, polypropylene, cellulose and other fibers. Composites with a polymer matrix and fiber reinforcement, manufacture, durability. Composite materials with the cement matrix and fiber reinforcement, fiber reinforced with steel fibers. Glass fiber reinforced concrete. Fibre composite materials. Fiber cement composite materials. New materials for reinforcement of structures, plates, reinforcing fabric. Materials with alkali activated matrix. Unidirectional Composites - relative representation phase, thermal expansion and transport properties. Lectures are supplemented by laboratory assignments in the course.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student handle target acquisition of knowledge on the subject of composite materials used in construction. The student will master the skills to understand the operation of composite materials, gain knowledge of the principles of design composites and knowledge for the use of composites in the civil engineering.
Knowledge of building materials - properties of building materials.
Knowledge of concrete technology - the design process, mixing concrete, the process of compacting concrete, concrete placement
Knowledge of Chemistry - Classification of substances, properties of matter
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. The development of composite materials, composite materials distribution definition
2. Variables defining properties of composites and their structural classification, design of composites, design specifics
3. Fiber reinforced composites, fibers, matrices
4. Composite material with cement matrix and fiber reinforcement (steel, polymer, glass, cellulosic fibers)
5. Glass fiber reinforced concrete
6. Composites with cement matrix and fiber reincorcement
7. Wood-cement composites
8. Materials with alkali activated matrix
9. Composite material with a polymer matrix and fiber reinforcement, the properties of raw materials, production technology
10. Composite material with a polymer matrix and fiber reinforcement, durability, application
11. New materials for reinforcement of structures, plates, reinforcing fabric
12. Particle composites, composites resistance to high temperatures
13. Unidirectional Composites, representation fibers. Mechanics of unidirectional composites, longitudinal strength, elastic modulus and strength, thermal expansion and transport properties
Acquaintance with composite materials used in the building industry, understanding of materials composite effects and possibilities of composites. Acquaintance with principles of design and use of composites, on base of obtained knowledge the student can make the optimal choice of the composite material for actual application and he is able to define the demanded composite properties and the conditions for its use, he wins experience with practical preparation of selected composite material types.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans