Traditional Building Trades
FAST-AG055Acad. year: 2020/2021
Extension of knowledge gained in the subject Introduction to traditional building trades, i.e. interpretation of development of building trades from oldest times till present. Knowledge is possible to use either in area of restoration of monuments or for understanding contemporary technologies and possible solutions of design details from point of view both architectural and building constructions.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Subject uses knowledge acquisition in subjectes Building construction and History of architecture and it is closely related to the subject Introduction to the Traditional Building Trades. It is preparation for understanding of handicraft and communication with craftsmen and construction output - it facilitates technical and author´s supervision.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Relation and cooperation between architect and craftsman in the history and present. Elements of creativity. Optimal use of resources. From an idea to the reality. Method of creative work.
2. Guidance by the historical work of our predecessors - method of documentation of realized work, analysis of used materials and technologies, value of work in terms of craftsmanship and social impact.
3. Documentation of building trades according to the individual fields. Common theme as a model example and subsequent analysis (material, construction, technology).
4. Interpretation of the essence of semestral work and methodology of individual analysis. Clarification of the study intention.
5. Analysis of realized examples, documents and data.
6. Analysis of realized examples, documents and data.
7. Relationship between crafts and environment - influence of the state of society, supply and demand.
8. The origin, development, prosperity, decline and extinction of crafts, guarantees of craftsmanship.
9. Methods of documentation of construction work and detail in history and today.
10. Creative intelligence. Creative hand. The ability to perceive the links - understand and evaluate. Personal values.
11. Excursion to selected crafts workplace.
12. Excursion to selected crafts workplace.
13. Joint discussion and evaluation of acquired knowledge and results of the individual work.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.