Building Physics 1
FAST-AH005Acad. year: 2020/2021
Proper design of thermal technical properties of building structures, rooms and buildings ensures the prevention of thermal defects and failures, ensuring the desired state of the internal environment and low energy performance of buildings. In addition thermal microclimate can be optimized design of the structure and the doors and windows to ensure a desired humidity microclimate.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
By attending the course the students will learn the basics of building desing with respect to given standards and regulations, to meet indoor comfort conditions. The will be taught how to assure low-energy demands of a given building by proper thermal desing of the boundary and divisionary construction, and how to eliminate the possibilities of failures and defects. Also they will be taught how to satisfy the fundamental conditions of building acoustics and day-lighting.
Basic knowledge of mathematics, knowledge of the fundamental physical constants and thermal properties of building materials.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Fundamentals in heat transfer. Thermal comfort in buildings.
2. Steady state heat flux, U-value determination.
3. Temperature profile for steady state conditions.
4. Influence of a reflective (aluminium) foil on U-value of the structure with non-ventilated air cavity.
5. Surface properties, risk of a surface condensation and mould grows, critical surface temperature and humidity, dew point temperature.
6. Thermal properties of windows and doors.
7. Two dimensional temperature profile of characteristic details (critical places in structures - thermal bridges and corners).
8. Assessment and determination of condensation regions into structures, additional protection against vapour and moisture.
9. Annual balance of condensated and evaporated amounts in the structure.
10. Non-steady state heat flux.
11. Floor categories, surface temperature drop.
12. Thermal stability of rooms.
13. Energy efficiency and energy consumption in buildings.
Construction must be design for and adjudicate so that not happen to rise of the heat technical deficienty or dificiency. Must be fulfil requirements of regulation No. 137/1998 digest and CSN 73 0540-2:2002 from the viewpoint of the thermal cover of buildings and must be securing of low energy costingness of designing building and requisite thermal microclimate
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer