Load-Bearing Structures 2
FAST-AF001Acad. year: 2020/2021
Design of concrete elements due to service limit state, reinforced concrete framed structures, space floor slab structures, foundation structures.
Properties of a timber and materials on the basis of a timber from the aspect of utilization in building structures, Czech and foreign standards for the design of structures, limit states of timber structures, basic types of stresses of members of timber structures and methodology of their checking, joints of timber structures, plated and truss structures, space timber structures – lattice structures, space bar systems, ribbed dome, vaulted and shell structures.
Properties of soils, classification of soils for foundation engineering, stresses at soils, geostatical stress, contact pressure, stress from external loading, limit states methodology, the design of shallow foundations due to limit states, retaining and pile walls, diaphragm walls, gabions, foundation pit, deep foundations, special foundation methods, jet grouting, micropiles.
Institute of Geotechnics (GTN)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will master the basic principles of static design of concrete and timber structures. Student will be able to solute safely and reliably foundations of overground structures.
Basic knowledge of structural mechanics, theory of elasticity, loads, basic principles of structure design, engineering geology.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Design of concrete elements due to service limit state.
2. Reinforced concrete framed structures.
3. Space floor slab structures - slabs bearing in two directions, grid structure.
4. Foundation structures – pads, continuous footings, rafts, slabs.
5. Properties of a timber and materials on the basis of a timber from the aspect of utilization in building
structures. Czech and foreign standards for the design of structures. Limit states of timber structures.
6. Basic types of stresses of members of timber structures and methodology of their checking. Joints of timber
7. Plated and truss structures. Space timber structures – lattice structures, space bar systems, ribbed dome, vaulted
and shell structures.
8. Soil difference of other building materials. Particular nature of soils. Soil properties. Strength of soils.
Compressibility of soils. Classification of soils for engineering purposes. Consolidation of soils.
9. Stresses at soils. Geostatical stress. Stress from external loading. Contact pressure.
10. Limit states methodology. Bearing capacity and settlement of soils. Geotechnical categories. Slope stability.
11. The design and check of shallow foundations due to limit states. Soil improvement.
12. Earth pressures. Structures against earth pressures. Retaining and pile walls, diaphragm walls. Gabions.
13. Deep foundations. Drilled and CFA piles. Technology. Limit load curve. Special foundation methods. Jet grouting.
To teach the students the basic principles of static design of concrete and timber structures. Students will be able to solute safely and reliably foundations of overground structures.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.