Landscape Restoration and Stability
FAST-TS51Acad. year: 2020/2021
Basic knowledge of landscape ecology, natural and cultural landscape, ecological stability.
Development of the Czech landscape. Landscape types, impact of human activities on landscape.
Czech landscape. Nature and landscape conservation.
Harmonic cultural landscape. Composed landscape.
Landscape ecological stability. Territorial systems of ecological stability.
Main reasons of landscape devastation by human activities.
Landscape devastation caused by mining activities.
Classification and types of landscape reclamation. New trends in landscape reclamation.
Low impact development. Urban sprawl.
Architecture and landscape.
Water in landscape. River restoration, subsidies programs.
Institute of Landscape Water Management (VHK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Overview of the problems connected with the landscape, landscape values, landscape improvement programs and subsidies. The actual state of water courses in landscape amd their restoration possibilities.
Basic knowledge of geography and biology.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
H. Králová: Revitalizace a stabilita krajiny. VUT FAST (studijní opora), 2008. (CS)
Forman, R.T.T., Gordon, M.: Landscape Ecology. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1986. (EN)
Forman, T.T., Gordon, M.: Krajinná ekologie. Academia Praha, 1993. (CS)
I. Míchal: Ekologická stabilita. Veronica Brno, 1994. (CS)
J. Löw, I. Míchal: Krajinný ráz. Lesnická práce, Kostelec n. Černými lesy, 2003. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to landscape ecology. Nomenclature. Natural and cultural landscape. Literature.
2. Historical development of Czech landscape. Cultural landscape.
3. Characteristics of Czech landscape and its values. Cultural landscape protection.
4. Harmonic cultural landscpae. Composed landscape.
5. Ecological stability. Landscape ecological stability.
Landscape devastation by industry and mining activities. Landscape reclamation.
6. Characteristics of areas devastated by mining. Ways of reclamation. Biotechnical reclamation. Agricultural, forestry, hydric reclamation. Reclamation financing. New trends in reclamation, examples of successful reclamation.
7. Protection of landscape and landscape character. Urban sprawl and its impact on landscape and environment.
8. Architecture in harmony with landscape. Principles of good development practice in landscape.
9. Actual problems of recent landscape and their solution. Landscape programms. Convention on European landscape.
10. Importance of water elements in landscape. River systems restoration. Examples of successful river restorations in CZ and abroad. Subsidy programs for river restorations.
Basic knowledge of landscape ecology, natural and cultural landscape, impact of human activities, landscape restoration, landscape stability, territorial systems of ecological satbility.
Restoration of landscape aquatic systems.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.