Ethics in Business
FAST-CZ52Acad. year: 2020/2021
Connection between ethics, economy and philosophy, history of ethics, overview of basic ethic directions and paradigms, personalities in history of ethics, importance of ethic cathegories to life, historic development changes in ethics, ethic inspiration for economy, new conceptions of ethics, ethics and morality, social events and ethics, relations between ethics, economis and business, economic pragmatism, utilitarism, liberalism, introduce to management of ethics, manager and ethics, firm strategy and ethics, ethics in firm philosophy, ethics in firm culture, ethical management, ethical codex, ethical auditing, manager moral development, ethics in firm culture, ethical dilemata in manager's activities, non-ethical examples in behavirou, corruption, lobbying, ways of solution.
Institute of Social Sciences (SPV)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge of ethic principles and their connections with management. Understanding of human change in firm culture, manager´s personality and firm strategy.
The subject follows to knowledge gained in the course of secondary education in subject "Foundantions of Social Sciences" or "Civics", therefore no other technical or economical information is needed, knowledge of basic of law, psychology, sociology, philosophy, history, interest in ethic topics, recognising and knowledge of society, connection between sociology nad psychology, basic penzum of psychology and social psychology.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ARZENBACHER, Arno: Úvod do etiky. Praha, Academia, 2001. ISBN 80-200-0953-1.
LINDR, Jaroslav: Etika v podnikání. M01 Nástin etiky, M02 Etická firemní strategie, M03 Implementace etiky. Brno: FAST, 2007. (CS)
SINGER, Peter: Practical ethics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990.
BRÁZDOVÁ, Dagmar: Zásady společenského chování. Praha: Road, 1991. ISBN 80-85385-09-0.
ŠAFRÁNKOVÁ, Jana: Sociologie pro techniky. Praha: ČVUT, 1992. ISBN 80-01-00791-X. (CS)
KÁRNÍKOVÁ, Jitka: Etika v podnikání a řídící práci. Praha, VŠE, 1997. ISBN 80-7079-524-7.
KOHOUTEK, Rudolf a ŠTĚPANÍK, Jaroslav: Psychologie práce a řízení. Brno: Cerm, 2000. ISBN 80-214-1552-5.
RIEGEL, Karel: Etika a psychologie v podnikání. Praha, Karolinum, 2006. ISBN 80-246-1118-X.
BEDRNOVÁ, Eva a NOVÝ, Ivan: Psychologie a sociologie řízení. Praha, Management Press, 2007. ISBN 978-80-7261-169-0.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to ethics. Importance of ethics. Ethics and philosophy, development owerview.
2. Concepts of ethics. Traditional and modern conception. History of ethics.
3. The important ethical paradigms and personalities in history. Ethics in antiquity and the Middle Ages.
4. Ethics in Modern Ages, present ethical discourses. Metamorphosis in the relations between ethics and business. Pozitivism, existencialism and materialism.
5. Directions in ethics: economic pragmatism, utilitarism, liberalism and neoliberalism.
6. Basic elements of the ethic theories. Corporate culture and identity. Importance of ethics for the economical way of thinking.
7. Relation between ethics, economics and business. Ethics in direction, personal morality and corporate ethics, ethical-professional manager's character.
8. Ethics in management and business, fundamentals and importance. Ethical integration into business. Social firm responsibility.
9. The manager and ethics - perspectives and changes. Development of a manager personality.
10. Corporate strategy and ethics, ethics as a strategy? Implementation of ethics to firm strategy.
11. Ethical codex. Ethical auditing of a firm. A variety of ethical codexes. Non-ethical examples in behaviour.
12. Practical aspects of ethics, ethical elements in strategy planning. Modernism and postmodernism in ethics, corporate strategy.
13. Self-assessment exercise in the area of ethics and management. Ethical-social katechism.
Orientation in subject, ability to aplicate of knowledge, information and practises in professional and personal life.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer