Sociology in Industry
FAST-5Z6Acad. year: 2020/2021
object of sociology, socialization, verbal communication, nonverbal communication, social perception, conformity, social role and position, manager, director, manager´s personality, managerial style, managerial functions, the managerial image, communication, sociology of work, professiogram, motivation, planning, corporate culture.
Institute of Social Sciences (SPV)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge about role of sociology in work process, basic sociological terminology, knowledge of basic communication mechanisms. Basic terminology from sociology in secondary school level from subjects "Foundantion of social sciences" or "Civics", knowledge from subjects Psychology (1st year in Faculty of Civil Engineering).
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
BEDRNOVÁ, E., NOVÝ, I.: Psychologie a sociologie řízení. Praha: Management Press 2002
GIDDENS, A.: Sociology. Blackwell, Polity Press 1997
KELLER, J.: Úvod do sociologie. Brno: SLON 1999
MEYER, D.: Social Psychology. New York: McGraw-Hill 1993
ŠTĚPANÍK, J., KOHOUTEK, R.: Psychologie práce a řízení. Brno: CERM 2000
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. The subject of managerial psychology and sociology. Development and perspectives in the theory and practise of management.
2. The conception of management in an organization. The theory of conflict and the theory of concensus applied to companies.
3. Personnel management. A manager´s personality. The theory of personality.
4. Social position and the role of manager. Society, groups, the structure of an organization.
5. Managerial communication skills. Verbal and nonverbal communication. Presentations. Brainstorming. Directed meetings. Discussion.
6. A manager´s career of manager, psychology of work performance. Professiogram. Analysis of work performance.
7. Motivation in work and management. Bonuses. The hierarchy of needs. Motivation factors.
8. Corporate culture and identity. Ethics in business and direction. Work groups and teams.
9. Managerial functions and styles. Styles of direction. Planning. Ortanizing.
10. The managerial image. Mental hygiene in a manager´s life. Stress, prevention and adaptive mechanisms.
11. The psychology of work, marketing and management. The development of creativity. Public relations and communication with the media. The theory of communication in managerial practise.
12. Firm ethics and identity.
13. Characteristics of work environment. Factors of work environment.
Orientation in problems of sociology of society, working groups, teams and their direction. Deepening of knowledge about structure of organization from social science view. Theoretical view to principes of firm´s structure with practical applications to future work of absolvents in building firms.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Type of course unit
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer