Communication In Management
FP-SkrKAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course aims on relevant knowledge of interpersonal communication necessary for efficient managerial positions. Students will be familiarized with theoretical models of interpersonal communication and consequently emphased on practice and application of acquired knowledge in specific situations, when solving case studies or mutual discussions.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will acquire relevant psychological knowledge from the field of social competence of manager. They will master especially the following skills: identification of communication goals, active listening, exoteric formulation of requirements and opinions, analysis of communication problems, choice of relevant communication strategy and tactics and their successful application, prevention of misunderstanding as well as increasing of individual, team and organizational performance by means of creative communication.
KONEČNÁ, Z. Základy komunikace. Základy komunikace. 1. Brno: Akademické nakladatesltví CERM, 2009. s. 1-151. ISBN: 978-80-214-3891- 0.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
EVANGELU, J. E. Krizová komunikace - Efektivní zvládání krizových a zátěžových situací. Ostrava, Key Publishing, 2013. ISBN: 978-80-7418-175-7.
MIKULÁŠTÍK, M. Manažerská psychologie. Nakladatel: Grada 2015. ISBN 9788024742212.
PLAMÍNEK J. Komunikace a prezentace. Grada : Praha, 2012, ISBN 9788024744841.
ČAKRT M. Typologie osobnosti pro manažery. Manažerské styly rozhodování, komunikace, konflikty, týmová práce, time management a změny. Praha: Management Press, 2010. ISBN 978-80-7261-201-7.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lectures present principles, rules for effective solving communication problems.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Conditions for awarding the course-unit credit:
The overall evaluation and successful completion of the course consists of:
• 30% written assignment
• 30% presentation of assignment outcomes
• 20% discussion
• 20% active participation (e.g. active participation in classes, participation in optional thematically relevant lectures, seminars - must be confirmed by a certificate)
To successfully completion of the course in the frame of approved individual study plan, it is necessary to prepare an assignment on an approved topic, present it and answer questions in a discussion. The semester assignment will be deliverd in written form and has to meet specified criteria including formal requirements. Topic will be approved by teacher at the beginning of the semester.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to the area of interpersonal communication and its importancy for managerial work.
2. Communication process models and their application for managerial praxis.
3. Selfassessment and application of relevant assessment tools for managerial work.
4. Social perception in managerial praxis.
5. Effective verbal communication. Coping with barriers in interpersonal communication.
6. Active listening as a part of effective interpesonal communication.
7. Effective non-verbal communication. Various types of non-verbal communication.
8. Specifics of effective discussion.
9. Rules of effective presentation.
10. Rules of effective meetings leading.
11. Assertive communication rules.
12. Effective intercultural communication.
13. Conclusion and final assessment.
The aim of the course is to provide students with relevant knowledge and skills related to social communication as a key tool for effective leadership. Main attention is paid to managerial competencies developement.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures is recommended, attendance at lessons is compulsory and controlled.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MGR-SRP-KS Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
Type of course unit
Guided consultation in combined form of studies
16 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer