International Project Management
FP-IBipmPAcad. year: 2020/2021
Students will learn principles and methods that are used in management of the projects and they will gain knowledge of managing projects in business with focuse on managing international projects.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Managing the project, leading projects team, stakeholder management and soft skills needed for projects. When students pass this subject, they should know how to manage project in changing environment and in conditions of 21. Century.
Management, ,intercultural management,risk management and international management.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
LESTER, A. Project Management, Planning and Control: Managing Engineering, Construction and Manufacturing Projects to PMI, APM and BSI Standards. Killington, Oxford, UK: Elsevier Ltd., 2014. ISBN 978-0-08-098324-0.
BERKUN, S. Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management. Published by O’Reilly Media, 2008. ISBN 978-05-9651-771-7.
SCHWALBE, K. An Introduction to Project Management. 2015. ISBN 978-15-0521-209-9.
SMOLÍKOVÁ. L. International Project management - Study text for full-time form of study. 2019. Brno
IPMA “Individual Competence Baseline” Version 4.0. International Project Management Association. 2015. ISBN (pdf): 978-94-92338-01-3.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lectures, seminars and team work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Written exam that will focuse on knowledge gained in lectures and by studiing given materials.
Language of instruction
The course is focused on project management, it is based on the international methodology IPMA (International Project Management Association) and uses current trends in project management. The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the methodology of IPMA, with current trends in project management and to teach students to manage projects.
Topics lectures are as follows:
1. Introduction to Project Management (definition of project management, successful project management, benefits of project management).
2. International standards and methodologies of project management (IPMA, PMI, PRINCE2) and their comparison.
3. Definition of basic term from project management (project, definition based on five attributes of te project, the difference between the project and routine).
4. The elements of the project strategy, life cycle of the projects (pre-project, project and post-project stages).
5. Project manager for 21. Century.
6. Managing projects in international environment, managing virtual teams and managing start up projects.
7. Teamwork in the project (basic characteristics of the project team, the team project roles in life stages of the project team).
8. Specification of project objectives, feasibility and opportunity studies.
9. Criteria for project success (soft and hard project criteria), stakeholders (primary and secondary stakeholders, stakeholder management).
10. Project stage (project initiation, project planning).
11. Project stage (implementation and completion of the project).
12. After project stage (project evaluation, evaluation of the benefits of the project).
13. Agile approach to the projects.
Students will gain knowledge about managing project in business, especially managing international projects.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Student attendance will be checked on lectures.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MGR-IBM Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory