FP-EbiPDAcad. year: 2020/2021
The subject deals with basic principles and approach to solution BI and the possibility of their using in managing of the company. The MS SQL Server 2005, 2008 and its integrated functions are used for the practical part of the subject
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students obtain knowledge about general principles on which the BI tasks are based, about the approach in their solution and using in the managing of the company gnd gain practical skill with analytics parts of BI.
The requirements for students are accentuate to level of knowledge database systems, data warehouse and the basic of programming language.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Novotný, O., Pour, J., Slánský D.: Business Intelligence, Jak využít bohatství ve vašich datech. Praha: Grada 2005, 256s. ISBN 80-247-1094-3
Lacko L.. Business Intelligence v SQL Serveru 2005, Brno, Computer Press, 2006, 387s. ISBN 80-251-1110-5
Brust J.A., Forte S.: Mistrovství v programování SQL Serveru 2005. Tvorba databázových aplikací a řešení pro BI. Brno, Computer Press, 2007, 833s. ISBN 978-80-251-1607-4
Kříž J.: Business Intelligence, Scriptum FP VUT v Brně
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course contains lectures that explain basic principles, problems and methodology of the discipline, and exercises that promote the practical knowledge of the subject presented in the lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Student during the semester must obtain at least 50% of the possible maximum, that is 20 points out of 40. If could be detected plagiarism or unauthorized collaboration on projects, or at mid-term test, credit will be granted with consideration of disciplinary proceedings.
Mid-term test - writing, (correct answers could be by selecting one of several sentence answers or a combination thereof), and developing practical task by task. There is no trial. (20 points)
Elaboration the project - a project by entering the appropriate documentation. The project proposition is introduced to students in the second lecture. (20 points)
Final exam - written test form (correct answers could be by selecting one of several sentence answers or a combination thereof) and an oral examination. (60 points for the written part of the exam; for the successful completion of the exam must be written exam developed to be evaluated by at least 30 points, otherwise the test is scored 0 points with the evaluation of F.)
Language of instruction
- Fundamentals of Business Intelligence, BI development, role in the architecture of IS / ICT, links to other applications.
- Basic principles of MS Analysis Services features and capabilities (integration processes, data cubes)
- Principles of implementation of BI, Data Pump, ETL - principle.
- Principles of dimensional modeling, dealing with the relationship of indicators and corresponding dimensions, physical design and modeling, data quality management.
- The OLAP (On Line Analytical Processing).
- Application areas of BI, specification of application areas, the use of BI in business management, effects of BI applications.
- Database environment, data warehousing environment - MS SQL Server-principles, architecture, individual components.
- Management of BI tasks, effects and critical success factors of BI, planning and analysis of BI.
- Solutions BI client applications, MS Office - Excel, Access, export OLAP cubes - off-line, query resources into multidimensional databases.
- Basic principles of MS Analysis Services features and capabilities (Data Mining)
- Data Mining - defining basic principles and applicable possibilities of relations BI and other applications, CRM and BI relationship - CustomerIntelligence.
- BI market segmentation, BI trends and examples of BI products
- BI case studies
The goal of the subject is to teach students manage the projects, development and applications of Business Inteligence (BI), implementation of tasks BI and gain practical skill with analytics parts of BI.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The checking results of individual tasks. In case of excused absence in practical lessons the teacher can give compensatory condition.
Attendance at lectures is not compulsory. Seminars with computer support is required, attendance is controled. One absence from seminars could be apologized by teacher. Student will replace this lack of elaboration especially given homework.
Exercise with computer support are focused on teaching integration, analysis and prediction capabilities and tools of MS SQL Server. During the semester students write semester test for a maximum of 20 points. For this semester there is no test trial. If a student has a well-documented and teacher excused absence in seminars, where is written midterm exam, he/she can attend on an alternative date.
In the second lecture is given to students separate project for a maximum of 20 points. Student must obtain at least 10 points to recognize this project. The project student submits the credit week.
Students who have an individual learning plan, ie. they do not go into sečminars, have to prepare and submit a special stand-alone project for the credit. For this particular project can get 30 points.
The course ends with a written exam for a maximum of 60 points. Participation in the test is mandatory.