The C++ Programming Language
FIT-ICPAcad. year: 2020/2021
ISO C++ language overview. Objects, classes, inheritance, polymorphism. Operator and function overloading. Templates. Exceptions. Standard library, STL.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students are able to exploit C++ for creating middle-sized applications based on the object-oriented approach and generic programming concepts.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ISO: Working Draft, Standard for Programming Language C++ (N4659). 2017-03-21 [available online on WWW]
ISO: Working Draft, Standard for Programming Language C++ (N4659). 2017-03-21 [dostupné elektronicky na WWW] (EN)
Teaching materials available on WWW.
Stroustrup, B.: The C++ programming language, 4th edition, Addison-Wesley, 2014
Booch, G.: Object-Oriented Design with applications, 2nd edition, The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company 1994
ISO: Programming languages - C++, International Standard ISO/IEC 14882, 1998
ISO: Working Draft, Standard for Programming Language C++ (N4659). 2017-03-21
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
At least 50% of points.
Language of instruction
The goal is to introduce students to object-oriented programming in C++ language and to generic programming using templates.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
- Introduction. Basic overview of ISO C++. Examples of C++ use.
- Basic differences of C and C++. Declarations, definitions, namespaces. Types.
- Statements and operators of C++. The terminology and principles of object-oriented programming in C++.
- Objects, classes, class members. Member access control. Member functions, "this" keyword, static members.
- Object creation and destruction: constructors, destructors, operators new and delete.
- Function and operator overloading. Type conversion operators.
- Input/output (iostream, fstream). Output formatting, file streams and string streams.
- Inheritance, base and derived classes. Multiple inheritance, virtual base classes.
- Polymorphism, virtual methods, abstract classes. Runtime type information.
- Templates, (partial) specialization.
- Standard library, algorithms, iterators, containers, function objects.
- Exceptions, exception specifications.
- Library overview. Effective C++ programming.
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer