Topical Issues of Electrical Machines and Apparatus
FEKT-DKC-VE2Acad. year: 2020/2021
Topical subjects of electromechanical energy conversion and electrical apparatus theory and design. Application of up-to-date numerical methods and AI to solution of problems in the field of electric machines and apparatus.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
General summary acquirement on recent trends in the field of electric machines and apparatus. Acquisition and implementation of up-to-date numerical methods and methods of AI.
The subject knowledge on the technical university education level is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Ch.-M. Ong, Dynamic simulation of electric machinery using matlab and simulink. Prentice Hall, USA, 1997.
J. Pyrhonen, T. Jokinen, V. Hrabovcova, Design of Rotating Electrical Machines. 2nd edition. Wiley, 2013. 538 p. ISBN 978-1118581575.
D.C. White, H.H. Woodsone, Electromechanical energy conversion. John Wiley and sons, NY 1959
I. Boldea, S.A. Nasar, The Induction Machine Handbook. Boca Raton: CRC Press LLC, 2002. 949 p. ISBN 0-8493-0004-5.
J. R. Jr. Hendershot, T.J.E. Miller, Design of Brushless Permanent-Magnet Motors. Motor Design Books LLC, 2010. ISBN 978-0984068708.
I. Boldea, Reluctance synchronous machines and drives. Clarendon Press, 1996. 240 p. ISBN 978-0198593911.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Student elaborates project according to teachers' instructions (15 standard pages, max. 30 points). Subject is finished by oral final exam (max. 70 points).
Language of instruction
1. Physical basis of energy conversion.
2. Present-day computational methods and modeling of electromechanic systems.
3. Applications of artificial intelligence techniques in electric machines and apparatus.
4. Numerical simulations based on finite element method.
5. Generalized electric machine, equatons of motion.
6. Electromechanic systems with rotational motion.
7. Electromechanic systems with linear motion.
8. Inverter fed PMSM and SynRM.
9. Line-start PMSM and SynRM.
10. High speed electrical machines.
11. Magnetic bearings.
12. Automate measurement of electric machines and apparatus.
13. Plasma Physics and Diagnostics.
Extension of theoretical knowledge essential for elaboration and successsful defense of PhD. thesis. Scientific education in the field of electric machines and apparatus.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme DKC-KAM Doctoral, any year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKC-EKT Doctoral, any year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKC-MET Doctoral, any year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKC-SEE Doctoral, any year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKC-TLI Doctoral, any year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKC-TEE Doctoral, any year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer