Fundamentals of Experimental Psychoacoustics
FEKT-MPC-ZEAAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course focuses on the methodology of preparation, realization and evaluation of psychoacoustic experiments in the field of sound quality assessment, technical and industrial psychoacoustics and noise ecology. The computer exercises are focused on the statistical processing of various psychological methods of measurement in psychoacoustics.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
On completion of the course, students are able to:
- explain the theoretical foundations of psychological measurements,
- choose the appropriate method for a given psychoacoustic experiment,
- select a suitable group of respondents for a given psychoacoustic experiment,
- perform a psychoacoustic experiment,
- process the results of a psychoacoustic experiment using an appropriate statistical method.
Knowledge of basic psycho-acoustic variables and basic knowledge in the area of random variables and statistical data processing are required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
MELKA, A.: Základy experimentální psychoakustiky. Nakladatelství Akademie múzických umění v Praze, Praha. 2005. ISBN 80-7331-043-0 (CS)
HOWARD, D.,M., ANGUS, J., Acoustics and Psychoacoustics, 4th ed. Focal Press, 2009. ISBN 978-0240521756 (CS)
NEUHOFF, J., Ecological Psychoacoustics. Elsevier Academic Press, 2004. ISBN 978-0125158510 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in article 7 of the BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
- Lectures provide explanations of the basic principles, subject methodology, examples of problems and their solutions.
- Computrer exercises support practical mastering of the themes presented in lectures. Active participation of students is required.
Participation in lectures is recommended. Participation in other ways of instruction is checked.
Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of study results follow the BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations and Dean's Regulation complementing the BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Up to 20 points are awarded for the tests in theoretical knowledge in the laboratory exercises. Up to 20 points can be obtained for correct results and elaboration of all laboratory exercises. The minimal scope of the elaboration of a particular laboratory exercise and the complementary questions are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantor of the course and updated for every academic year. Up to 60 points are given for the final written examination, and it is necessary to get at least 20 points for its successful completion.
Language of instruction
1. Basic principles of psychophysics, theoretical foundations of psychological measurements.
2. General features of psychoacoustic experiment, preparation and realization of psychoacoustic experiment.
3. Psychological methods of measurement in psychoacoustics 1: method of constant stimuli, pairing, alignment of stimuli, subjective assessment scales.
4. Psychological methods of measurement in psychoacoustics 2: method of stimulus adjustment, semantic differential method and similarity of sound stimuli.
5. Evaluation of psychoacoustic experiment, processing and statistical analysis of data.
6. Subjective tests of clarity of speech from sound quality, international recommendations.
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the preparation, realization and evaluation of psychoacoustic experiments.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
It is obligatory to undergo all laboratory exercises in regular or alternative terms to complete the course. Other forms of checked instruction are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantor of the course and updated for every academic year.