FEKT-MPC-AKPAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course deals with the propagation of sound in closed space, the solution of the wave equation in closed space, wave, geometric and statistical acoustics, measurement of the reverberation time and impulse response of the space, objective criteria for evaluation of listening space quality, design of acoustic absorption and dispersion elements and modern methods of evaluation of acoustics of listening Spaces such as 3D impulse response of the space, SIRR method and acoustic studies with virtual orchestra. Laboratory exercises are focused on the design and simulation of acoustics of selected types of listening spaces in EASE and EASERA programs.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
On completion of the course, students are able to:
- explain sound propagation in enclosed space,
- measure the reverberation time and the impulse characteristic of the space,
- calculate objective criteria for the quality assessment of listening spaces,
- design basic absorption and diffusion elements to adjust the reverberation time of listening spaces,
- create a simulation of the distribution of sound pressure using geometric and numerical methods,
- propose solutions for acoustic modifications of newly realized and existing listening spaces.
The knowledge of basic physical laws and quantities of the sound field is required as well as the knowledge of laws and quantities in electrical circuits, characteristics of electric circuit elements, circuit behaviour with inertia elements, fundamentals of electro-mechanic and electro-acoustics analogy, periodical and non-periodical signal spectra, random variables and basic terms from the area of statistics
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
VONDRÁŠEK, M., ANTEK, M. „Porovnání objektivních kritérií kvality koncertních sálů“. Akustické listy, 11 (3), září 2005, s. 9 –18. (CS)
KOLMER, F., KYNCL, J. Prostorová akustika. 2, vyd. Praha: Státní nakladatelství technické literatury, 1982, 242 s., ISBN 0451480 (CS)
ČSN EN ISO 3382: Akustika – Měření parametrů prostorové akustiky. Česká technická norma, Český normalizační institut, únor 2009. (CS)
ČSN EN ISO 18233: Akustika – Aplikace nových akustických metod měření stavebních konstrukcí, v budovách a v místnostech. Česká technická norma, Český normalizační institut, listopad 2006. (CS)
Everest, F. ,A. ,Master Handbook of Acoustics, 4th ed. McGraw-Hill, 2001. ISBN 0-07-136097-2 (EN)
Cox, T., J., D‘Antonio, P., Acoustics Absorbers and Diffusers, Theory, design and application, 2nd ed. Taylor&Francis, 2009. ISBN 978-0-415-47174-5 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in article 7 of the BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
- Lectures provide explanations of the basic principles, subject methodology, examples of problems and their solutions.
- Laboratory exercises support practical mastering of the themes presented in lectures. Active participation of students is required.
Participation in lectures is recommended. Participation in other ways of instruction is checked.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of study results follow the BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations and Dean's Regulation complementing the BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Up to 40 points can be obtained for elaboration of project and all laboratory exercises. The minimal scope of the elaboration of projects are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantor of the course and updated for every academic year. Up to 60 points are given for the final examination, and it is necessary to get at least 30 points for its successful completion.
Language of instruction
1. Sound propagation in an enclosed space, diffuse reflection, diffraction, solution of a wave equation in an enclosed space, wave acoustics.
2. Numerical methods for solving sound propagation in an enclosed space.
3. Geometric acoustics, image method of sound beam simulation and ray-tracing.
4. Statistical acoustics, reverberation, reverberation time measurement, normative requirements.
5. Room impulse response, energy curve and energy relief, measurement of room impulse response. Objective criteria for assessing the quality of listening spaces.
6. Building acoustics, measurement of background noise and soundproofing.
7. Acoustic absorption structures, principle, design and measurement of their parameters.
8. Acoustic diffusion structures, principle, design and measurement of their parameters.
9. 3D room impulse response, SIRR , acoustic studies with virtual orchestra, variable acoustics.
10.-13. Professional lecture / excursion
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the methods of sound propagation in enclosed space, design of acoustic absorption and scattering elements, measurement of reverberation time and impulse characteristics of space and calculation of objective criteria of acoustics of listening space.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
It is obligatory to undergo all laboratory exercises in regular or alternative terms and submit individual project to complete the course. Other forms of checked instruction are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantor of the course and updated for every academic year.