Simulation of Communication Subsystems
FEKT-BPC-SKSAcad. year: 2020/2021
Students become familiar with principles of passive and active microwave circuits simulation using software Ansoft HFSS and Designer. Students use theoretical knowledge from previous courses (antennas filters, amplifiers ...) for computer aided design. Students will learn principles of selected numerical methods and methods of local and global optimization. The course is terminated by an individual project, where students design a model of selected microwave circuit.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate is able to:
- understand principles of waveguides, coaxial and microstrip transmission lines, waveguide and planar antennas, power splitters, filters, microwave amplifiers
- design these structures using a simulation software
- understand principles of selected optimization techniques and choose appropriate method for selected problem, formulate the fitness functon
Knowledge of bachelor-degree mathematics and physics is required. Previous passing courses Antennas and Lines, High frequency techniques and Microwave techniques is an advantage.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
RAIDA, Z. Počítačové řešení komunikačních systémů. Skrtiptum FEKT VUT. (CS)
VÁGNER, P. Vysokofrekvenční technika. Skripta FEKT VUT, 2013. (CS)
HANUS, S., SVAČINA, J. Vysokofrekvenční a mikrovlnná technika. Skripta FEKT VUT v Brně, 2002, ISBN: 80-214-2222-X (CS)
RADMANESH, M. RF and Microwave Circuit Design Essentiales. AuthorHouse, Bloomington, IN, 2009. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and computer laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to elaborate a single project/assignment during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Students can obtain up to 30 points for the activity in the computer labs. Two tests during the semester are honored by max. 30 points and final individual project is honored by max. 40 points.
Language of instruction
1. Ansoft HFSS and common principles of fullwave electromagnetic simulators
2. Microwave transmission lines (waveguides, coaxial and microstrip transmission lines)
3. Waveguide antennas
4. Selected types of microwave antennas
5. Antennas with parabolic reflector and properties of the feed
6. Power splitters and combiners, directional couplers
7. Lowpass filters
8. Bandpass filters
9. Linear model of an amplifier. Design of LNA
10. Optimization - terms, optimality conditions, objective aggregation, gradient methods
11. Optimization - stochastic single-objective methods
12. Optimization - stochastic multi-objective methods
13. Presentation of individual projects
Aim of the course is to make students familiar with microwave circuits and their design and modeling using computer programs.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Evaluation of activities is specified by a regulation, which is issued by the lecturer responsible for the course annually.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-EKT Bachelor's, 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional