Design Systems and Electronic Circuits Practice
FEKT-BPC-PNEAcad. year: 2020/2021
The exercises focuses on the following topics and activities: using the MicroCap circuit simulator, inclusive of its advanced capabilities and analytical features such as the mathematical analysis of signals (FFT, for example) and higher functions of the program’s graphical output; employing the Eagle system to design PCBs; the THT and SMD soldering processes; mounting student-designed PCBs; regenerating electronic circuits and comparing the parameters of the revived device with those of the initial, simulated design.
Starting with the 6th week of the semester the laboratory practicals begin. Part of laboratory practicals lies on the designing, simulation, fabrication, and regeneration of a simple electronic device.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
A deep insight into circuit simulators and advanced analyses; competence in MicroCap and Eagle; operating skills related to the mounting and soldering of PCB components via SMT and THT; ability to regenerate simple analog electronic circuits.
To successfully complete the subject, the students are required to:
- possess good command of the topics discussed within Electrical Engineering 1 and 2
- have working knowledge of Windows
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Boušek J., Kosina P., Mojrová B. Elektronické součástky. BRNO: VUT v Brně, 2015.
VRBA, K. Konstrukce elektronických zařízení. Brno: Vysoké učení technické v Brně, 2013. s. 1-251. ISBN: 978-80-214-4719- 6.
LINEAR TECHNOLOGY: Analog Circuit Design - A Tutorial Guide to Applications and Solutions. Linear Technology, 2011. ISBN 9780123851857 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teachning methods include lectures and computer laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The course is finished by a credit test, which consists of design and simulation of a simple analog circuit according to the assignment.
Language of instruction
The tutorials reflect the topics discussed within the parallel subject of BPC-NEO.
1. Introduction to the MicroCap simulator
2. MicroCap: advanced analyses and functions
3. Rectifiers and supply filters. Overvoltage protection in inductive load switching.
4. Transistor circuits. Amplifiers, switches.
5. Schematic and PCB design system EAGLE 1/2
6. Schematic and PCB design system EAGLE 2/2
6. Amplifiers with BPs and FETs: biasing, amplification, and input resistance.
7. Circuits with operational amplifiers
8. PCB assembly and soldering
9. Designing, simulating, and optimizing a simple circuit in MicroCap.
10. Using Eagle to design PCB
11. Switching converters
12. Case studies of interesting circuits
13. Credit test
The laboratory practicals (9th to 12th weeks)
6. Basic instructions; laboratory rules and safety
7. Transistor BJT
8. Transistor JFET
9. Operational amplifier
10. Soldering: SMT and THT
11. Mounting and regenerating a circuit via the mixed approach (SMT, THT)
12. Completing the circuit, verifying the parameters, and evaluating the result
The aim of the subject is to complement the theory outlined in BPC-NEO with the practical designing and fabrication of analog electronic circuits. The tutorials and practicals are to acquaint the students with problems related to computer-based support for all fundamental processes within the comprehensive structuring of electronic circuits, including the preliminary configuration, simulation, printed circuit projection, and manufacturing data preparation. The laboratory practicals teach soldering, PCB mounting, and procedures to regenerate electronic circuits.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-AUD Bachelor's
- Programme BPC-EKT Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-SEE Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-TLI Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-AMT Bachelor's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
Exercise in computer lab
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
8 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course