Design of Analog Integrated Circuits
FEKT-BPC-NAOAcad. year: 2020/2021
Basic classification of integrated circuits. Integrated circuit (IC) design, design methodology and requirements for analog integrated circuits. Basic operating modes of MOS transistors, MOS transistor models. Design and simulation of basic IC blocks (current mirrors, reference circuits, output stages, amplifiers, OTA). Procedures and rules for the design of analog ICs layout. Computer exercices focused on simulation and design of analog functional blocks. Use of professional design system OrCAD PSICE for complex design of analog IC.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is able to:
- describe the basic steps in the design process of integrated circuit,
- describe the basic structure of the chip or transistor respectively,
- to design and verify the basic building blocks of analog integrated circuits (current mirror, reference, transistor amplifier, power amplifier),
- to design and verify basic parameters of the structure of the operational amplifier and OTA.
The student is supposed to have basic knowledge about electronic components (especially transistors, resistors and capacitors) and further knowledge of the principles of basic analog circuits (transistor amplifiers, operational amplifiers, feedback, etc.).
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Baker, J.R.:"CMOS circuit design, layout and simulation", IEEE Press a Wiley Interscience, ISBN 0-471-70055-X, 2005 (EN)
Bečvář, D., Stehlík, J.: "Návrh analogových integrovaných obvodů (BNAO)", učební text, VUT Brno 2011 (CS)
Razavi:"Design of analog integrated circuits", McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-238032-2, 2001 (EN)
ALLEN, P., E., HOLBERG, D., R. CMOS analog circuit design, second edition.Oxford University Press, New York 2002, ISBN 0-19-511644-5 (EN)
KLEDROWETZ, V.; HÁZE, J. Návrh analogových integrovaných obvodů. 2015. s. 1-122. (CS)
KLEDROWETZ, V.; HÁZE, J. Návrh analogových integrovaných obvodů - počítačová cvičení. 2014. s. 1-35. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lecture and computer and numerical excercises.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
- a maximum of 30 points for protocols of computer exercises,
- a maximum of 10 points for mid-term test,
- a maximum of 60 points for the final exam, which consists of a written part (45 points) and oral exam (15 points).
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to Integrated Circuit Design (IO). Procedure of IO design.
2. CMOS technology - MOS transistor, passive elements, fabrication process in CMOS technology.
3. Analog model of the MOS transistor - small and large signal model, transistor operating modes, characteristics.
4. Current mirrors - design, simulation, basic types, parameters and properties.
5. Current references - design, simulation, basic types, parameters and properties.
6. Voltage references - design, simulation, basic types, parameters and properties.
7. Simple MOS Amplifier - design, simulation, parameters and properties.
8. Differential amplifier - design, simulation, parameters and properties.
9. Final stages of operational amplifiers - design, simulation, basic types, parameters and properties.
10. Two-stage opamp - design, simulation, parameters and properties.
11. Procedures and rules for the design of analog ICs layout.
Computer exercices focused on simulation and design of analog functional blocks. Using of professional design system OrCAD PSPICE for complex design of analog IC.
Aim of this course is make students familiar with manufacture proces of the integrated circuits, circuit design and layout of the basic blocs.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Computer exercises are mandatory. Properly excused absence from seminars can be replaced by appointment with the teacher.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-AUD Bachelor's
specialization AUDB-TECH , any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-AMT Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-SEE Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-TLI Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-EKT Bachelor's, 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional