FEKT-BPC-MKOAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course is aimed at the digital mobile communication systems. The first part of the course provides the classfiication of mobile systems, their present development, general principles of signal processing, architecture and signal distortion in radio environment including the methods of their mitigation. In the second part of the course, the deployed mobile systems (GSM, UMTS, LTE, WiMAX, IEEE 802.11, Bluetooth) are described. Attention is also given to the development of mobile systems and future mobile systems (5G, HAPS, ITS). In laboratory practices students perform tests not only commercial mobile systems, but also partial parts of mobile systems (mobile terminals). For testing, state of the art measurement equipment is used.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate is able:
- describe the general mobile communication system and explain the function of blocks,
- describe used methods of source coding, channel coding and modulations,
- explain basic principles of multiplexing signals, equalization and MIMO technology,
- describe architecture of WWAN systems (GSM, UMTS, LTE), WMAN system (WiMAX), WLAN systems (IEEE 802.11) and WPAN system (Bluetooth),
- explain methods of signal processing used in WWAN systems (GSM, UMTS, LTE), WMAN system (WiMAX), WLAN systems (IEEE 802.11) and WPAN system (Bluetooth),
Basic knowledge of digital signal processing, expression of signals in time and frequency domains, fundamentals of electromagnetic fields and fundamentals of linear and nonlinear circuits is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
STUBER, Gordon L. Principles of mobile communication. ISBN 978-3319556147. 2017. (CS)
HANUS, Stanislav. Nové technologie mobilních komunikací pro integrovanou výuku VUT a VŠB-TUO. Elektronická skripta. ISBN 978-80-214-4824-7. Brno, 2013. HANUS, Stanislav. Nové technologie mobilních komunikací pro integrovanou výuku VUT a VŠB-TUO. Elektronická skripta. ISBN 978-80-214-4824-7. Brno, 2013.";2013;2018;1;elektronická;;cs (CS)
AHMADI, Sassan. LTE-advanced: a practical systems approach to understanding the 3GPP LTE releases 10 and 11 radio access technologies. ISBN 978-0124051621. 2013. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures, computer laboratories and practical laboratories.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The point evaluation is realized according to recommendation of the BSP FEEC BTU (max. 100 points)
Each laboratory practice - max. 3 points.
Total number of 10 laboratory practices - max. 30 points.
3 questions from rewiev of information - each question max. 20 points - total number max. 60 points,
2 partial questions - each question max. 5 points - total number max. 10 points.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to mobile communications
2. Signal processing (source coding, channel coding)
3. Signal processing (interleaving, digital modulations)
4. Basic concept and functions of radio communication systems
5. GSM system (frequency bands, system architecture, signal processing)
6. UMTS system (system architecture)
7. UMTS system (signal processing)
8. LTE system (system architecture)
9. LTE system (signal processing)
10. Cordless telephone systems (DECT)
11. WPAN systems (Bluetooth, ZigBee), WLAN systems (802.11) and WMAN systems (WiMAX)
12. Systems for machine-to-machine communication (M2M) and intelligent transportation systems (ITS)
13. Future systems (5G), evolution of mobile communications, trends
The aim of the course is to present the philosophy of modern mobile communication systems, their architecture and methods of signal processing such as source coding, channel coding, modulation techniques, equalisation, frequency hopping, MIMO technology etc.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-AUD Bachelor's
- Programme BPC-AMT Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, optional
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, optional
- Programme BPC-EKT Bachelor's, 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-IBE Bachelor's, 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-SEE Bachelor's, 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-TLI Bachelor's, 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional