Microprocessors and Microcomputers
FEKT-BPC-MAMAcad. year: 2020/2021
This course is focused on the main aspects of use microcontrollers for design of electronics devices. Students will be acquaint with C programming language and specific aspects of programming 8 and 16bits microcontrollers. They learn how to control and use integrated peripherals, possibilities and advantages of modern and progressive Integrated Development Environments, for design, development, debugging and testing of software.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student is able to:
• Prepare software for microcontrollers form Microchip company in C programming language,
• Design, develop, debug and test software in MPLAB IDE
• Use and control the main peripherals of Microchip microcontroller
• Use wired communication bus RS-232
Student, who takes the course, should be able to:
• Solve linear equitation, work with binary, decimal and hexadecimal system
• Have a general knowledge of work with personal computer
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
VRBA, R., LEGÁT, P., FUJCIK, L., HÁZE, J., KUCHTA, R., MIKEL, B., SKOČDOPOLE, M.: Digitální obvody a mikroprocesory. Elektronické skriptum, 1. vyd., FEKT VUT, Brno 2003, s. 238, ISBN MEL103
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Evaluation of study results follows the Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for successful completion of the subject are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
1. C programming language
2. The main structure of microcontroller, Von Neumann and Harvard computer concept
3. Programing languages and Integrated Development Environments
4. Specifics of software development for low-end microcontrollers in higher programing languages
5. Microcontroller structure, special function registers, external communication and synchronization
6. Interrupts, the main principles and general terms for use
7. Integrated peripherals, their use and control
8. Systems for source code control
The aim of the course is to familiarize students with the main aspects of use and principle of work microprocessors and microcontrollers, control and use of integrated peripherals and interfaces, application design and development, communicate with other devices via standard communication interfaces. Present general information about principles and work of digital signal processors.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, 3. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory-optional