Advanced Molecular Biotechnology
FCH-DCO_MOBAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course is focused on exploatation of molecular biotechnology in construction of genetically modified organisms, particularly plants. Some part is focused on the use of transgenic plants and animals for enhancing the quality of foods and on their use as bioreactors for production of important compounds. Attention is focused on the safety of foods with GMO for men´s health and environment.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Theoretical aspects of the use of molecular biotechnology (application of recombinant DNA techniques) in the preparation of useful products with the impact in food production.
Courses from Biochemistry, Microbiology and Molecular Biotechnology.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods based on individual consultation. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Examination is oral.
Language of instruction
1. Synthesis of commercial products by genetically modified microorganisms.
2. Manipulation of gene expression in plants.
3. Transgenic plants resistant to biotic stress.
4. Transgenic plants resistent to abiotic stress.
5. Enhancing of quality of foods of plant origin using transgenic plants.
6. Modification of plant nutritional content (aminoacids, lipids, vitamins, iron, phosphorus).
7. Modification of food plant taste and appearance (coloration, sweetness,starch).
8. Plants as bioreactors (production of antibodies, polymers).
10. Transgenic animals and foods.
11. Safety of foods containing transgenic organisms.
12. The impact of genetically modified organisms on the environment.
13. Economic issues.
Lectures cover the use of transgenic organisms in the preparation of useful products, including foods. The attention is focused on to the foods of plant origin and their safety mainly.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The course uses teaching lectures and individual consultation which are connected to the PhD thema.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme AKREDITACE Doctoral, 1. year of study, winter semester, 0 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKCP_PCH Doctoral, 1. year of study, winter semester, 0 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DPAP_CHTP Doctoral
branch DPAO_CHTP , 1. year of study, winter semester, 0 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKCP_CHTP Doctoral
branch DKCO_CHTP , 1. year of study, winter semester, 0 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DPCP_CHTP Doctoral
branch DPCO_CHTP , 1. year of study, winter semester, 0 credits, compulsory-optional
Type of course unit
20 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer