FCH-MCO_BIT2Acad. year: 2020/2021
Biotechnology of organic acids synthesized by microorganisms. Vinegar. lactic acid, citric acid, gluconic acid and other minority acids. Biosynthesis of amino acids. Biosynthesis of vitamins. Enzyme biotechnology. Biosynthesis of intra- and extra-polysaccharides and other biopolymers. Biotechnology of secondary metabolites. Antibiotics. Biosynthesis of lipids. Ergot alkaloids. Giberelins. Oxidation reactions on saccharide molecule ("oxo" compounds, e.g. ascorbic acid). Microbial transformation. Biotechnology in environmental protection.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Acquired knowledge is a basis for further development and design of new biotechnologies.
Good knowledge of microbiology of yeasts and their metabolism, incl. metabolic control. Basic knowledge of cultivation techniques, bioengineering principles of industrial fermentations ( esp. process kinetics, material and energy balance). Basis of sanitation in the fermentation industry.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Masák J. a kol.: Speciální mikrobní technologie. VŠCHT Praha, Praha 1992. (CS)
Z:Rehm,H.-J.,Reed G.: Biotechnology: Products of Secondary Metabolism, Vol 7, 2nd Ed, Wiley, Weinheim, 2008 (CS)
D:Rehm,H.-J.,Reed G.: Biotechnology, 12 Vols., 2nd Ed, Wiley, 2008 (CS)
Dubey R.S.: A Textbook of Biotechnology. S. Chand and Co., 4th Edition, 2014 (CS)
D: Jean Bruneton: Pharmacognosy. Lavoisier Publishing Inc., Paris, 2001 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of Lecture - 2 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Students must know well properties in technology used microorganisms, their metabolism and possibility for physiological control of the process. Important is also selection of medium, nutrients and cultivation technique (reactor). It is necessary to apply well knowledge from bioengineering and chemical engineering in process design and process evaluation (balance of raw materials, nutrients, wayter, energy, waste materials).
Language of instruction
1. Natural products and compounds - overview industrially significant groups.
2. Primary and secondary metabolism, intermediary control mechanisms.
3. Basic parameters of biotechnological process. Specific features of production of primary and secondary metabolites.
4. Production of organic acids, polysaccharides, sugars and derivatives by microorganisms and plynts.
5. Proteins and enzymes. Enzyme biotechnologies, production of industrially significant enzymes.
6. Biotrenasformations - principle, examples.
7. Antibiotics, cytostatics.
8.Alkaoids - overview, production, legislation.
9. Vitamins - production, technology.
10. Phenolic compounds, lignans, flavonoids, chinones; pigments and terpenes, steroids, carotenoids and their biotechnological production.
11. Plant cell and tissue cultures.
12. Animal cell cultures, tissue cultures and theis applications. Stem cells.
The aim of the course is extension of knowledge about microorganism abilities to synthesize simple and complicated molecules, enzymes and polymers. The aim is not to know all details about technology but above all to understand well methods leading to affect the process via changing metabolism of carbon or other nutrients and their control. Strerss is put on construction of productive strains.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Knowledge is assessed both by written and by oral exams. Well written test is prerequisite for oral exam.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme AKREDITACE Master's
specialization BCH , 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
specialization CHPL , 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
specialization PCH , 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme NPCP_CHTP Master's
branch NPCO_CHTP , 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme NKCP_CHTP Master's
branch NKCO_CHTP , 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme CKCP_CZV lifelong learning
branch CKCO_CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory