Fault Tolerant Systems
FIT-SODAcad. year: 2019/2020
Principles of fault tolerance, structures and techniques. Codes for control and correction of information. Cyclic codes, Fire codes, Galois fields, BCH and RS codes. Convolutional codes. Modelling, estimation and control of reliability. Fail-safe systems. Architecture of FT systems. Fault tolerance at VLSI level. Radiation safety. Fault tolerance in computer units, computer systems and communication networks. Radiation fault tolerance. A380 control system. Distributed tolerant systems, fault tolerant software.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Skills and approaches to building fault tolerance using hardware and codes.
To get know a novel approach to ensure availability and safety of technical means.
Computer design and software tools.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Hlavička J. - Racek S. - Golan P. - Blažek T.: Číslicové systémy odolné proti poruchám, Vydavatelství ČVUT, Praha, 1992
Lin S. - Costello D.J.: Error Control Coding: Fundamentals and Applications, Prentice-Hall, 1983
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
To inform the students about different types of redundancy and its application for the design of computer systems being able to function correctly even under presence of faults and data errors.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
- FT design methodology, structures and techniques.
- Error control codes. Parity codes, arithmetic codes.
- Residue codes, Hamming codes, sparse parity codes.
- Cyclic codes, Fire codes.
- Galois fields, BCH and Reed-Solomon codes, byte error detection.
- Convolution codes.
- Time redundancy, alternating logic.
- Reliability modeling, combinatorial models, MIL-HDBK-217. Markov reliability models.
- Safe systems.
- FT architectures.
- VLSI fault tolerance. Radiation fault tolerance.
- FT in computer units and computer systems.
- FT systems architectures.
- Software for FT systems.
eLearning: currently opened course