Business Competence Development
FP-BBCDEAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course focuses on the development of students' entrepreneurial competences, especially with regard to managerial, marketing, financial and purchasing skills. An important role will be played by understanding the links between business decisions in various areas of corporate governance(marketing, finance, purchasing, management, etc.). Three software modules (banking, ERP system and e-shop) will be used in the course. Students set up their own companies and will be trading on the virtual international market.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will have the opportunity in a "safe environment" to get acquainted with the practical steps in establishing and developing the company. In a virtual international marketplace, they will get to know the procedures that are related to the key activities within setting up and running the company. The subject gives them the opportunity to verify the importance of (timely and reliable) information to formulate a successful strategy and tactics to meet the company's goals and to understand the interdependence of decisions in sub-manager areas (marketing, finance, purchasing, sales, management, etc.) The virtual international environment is an appropriate tool for students to become aware of their own entrepreneurial abilities and potential reserves in the field. Students will improve and strengthen their business competences. Each student will work out a seminar project on Business Competence Development at the end of this course .
The basic prerequisites for the course Business Competences Development are the fundamental knowledge of business areas at the level of higher education and skills in communication and teamwork. Customer experience gained in the market environment is also beneficial. This course is deeply bound with the subjects Marketing and Principles of Entrepreneurship.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is based on the cooperation with Tampere University of Applied Sciences. The majority of business acitivies are simulated in software virtual environment. The main educational method is coaching and team learning. Students have to solve a lot of significant tasks within a company development.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Students will work in teams. The evaluation will be based on a multi-criteria assessment of both the team's performance and the personal contribution of each student for the results achieved. Students will be able to get a total of 100 points for these key activities - preparation of marketing materials 60 points, the preparation and presentation of the company to investors 5 points (elavator pitch), preparation and presentation of business pitch for customers 5 points. Each student will also elaborate a seminar project on Business Competence Development, which will be evaluated by the remaining 30 points.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to the virtual international environment and into its individual fields, introduction to the content and form of teaching and evaluation of the course
2. Presentation of the specific aspects in team learning, the explanation of the coach role and the roles of team members
3. Team creation and team building activities
4. Making up - the name of companies, logos and other graphic materials, product portfolio definition (services) on B2B market
5. Division of individual activities within the company - marketing, purchase, sales, finance etc., pricing - price lists, definition of distribution channels
6. Creation of online marketing promotion - Facebook pages and other profiles on social networks, relevant information, brand story telling on Facebook, the preparation of graphic materials (photos etc.)
7. Creation of company webpage, newsletter, e-mail offer for potential customers
8. Video marketing promotion on Youtube, Facebook pages and other social networks, company promotional video, product promotional video
9. Communication with customers (email, social networks etc.), preparation of elevator pitch for investors
10. Presentation for investors and feedback from them
11. Communication with customers, trading and leading of related agenda - purchase, finance, sales and marketing
12. Videoconference presentations for customers in Finland - Business Pitch
13. Final Feedback, students evalution
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the key competences related to company foundation and management. Students will be able to acquire competences in the preparation of marketing materials in communication with other partners (product portfolio, creation of a quotation, creation of promotional materials - FB pages, Instagram, leaflets, promo video, websites, company presentation, etc.) The cardinal thing is:
- Awareness of the links between the decisions in the individual areas of the business "agenda", their mutual impacts and the links to the fulfillment of the entrepreneurial strategy.
- Awareness of your own competences to creatively respond to the development of internal and external corporate environment and the factors that prevent the application of these abilities.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The students´ performance within the course will be checked regularly in accordance with the preparation of individual activities. The following milestones will be monitored: Preparation of marketing materials, preparation and presentation of the company to investors, preparation of company presentation to customers, preparation and implementation of an international event (sales event) and business management of the company within the team.