FAST-BP057Acad. year: 2019/2020
The subject covers the filed of environmental engineering and environmental protection, especially protection against leakage of hazardous substances from both municipal and industrial wastes.
Attention is focused on the concept of Waste Management in the Czech Republic. As for technical methods of waste disposal, the subject is oriented on composting and landfilling waste according the current Czech legislation.
Institute of Municipal Water Management (VHO)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will manage aim of course: Planning, Design and Operation of Waste management.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Legislation and terminology for waste management, physico-chemical characteristic of wastes, waste register, municipal and dangerous waste disposal.
2. Conceptual framework of waste management in the Czech Republic: state-of-the-art and development trends, waste management plans.
3. Packaging, distribution and function.
4. Waste sorting, recycling bins.
5. Landfilling – legislation, types of landfills, technical maintenance, choosing of suitable site, geological and hydrological data, technical solution.
6. Landfill water management, percolation water treatment.
7. Recultivation of landfills.
8. Composting, distribution of composting, composting of biological processes.
9. Thermic methods of waste disposal - burning, gasification, pyrolysis.
10. Field trip to Brno garbage-disposal plant.
11. Garbage-disposal plants, construction works, technological equipment.
The primary purpose of this course is to review the current of art in solid waste management, with emphasis on municipal garbage impacts on the ground waters, means of impact mitigation and implementation of the national standards and management programs. The subject brings groudings about Planning, Design and Operation of Waste management.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans