Hydraulics of Open Channel Flow
FAST-BR052Acad. year: 2019/2020
Solution of the open channel hydraulics problems (uniform and nonuniform steady flow, unsteady flow, stability of the bottom and banks of the channel), solution using software of open channel flow HEC-RAS.
Software application, demonstration of case studies.
Hydraulic solution of the structures appearing on channels (bed drops, weirs, bridges, culverts).
Institute of Water Structures (VST-VST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students complete goal of this course which include getting up principles of flow in the open channels. Also students get experience in flow in the open channels through term projects.
Basic knowledge in the field of Water Management and Water Structures, basic knowledge of mathematics, physics, hydraulics and hydrology.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to open channel flow
2. Basic theory of open channels flow
3. I. Mathematical formulation of 1D flow problem
4. II. Mathematical formulation of 1D flow problem
5. Saint-Venant equations
6. Mathematical formulation of the problem of transportation and dispersion
7. Numerical solution
8. The movement of sediment load
9. The issue of determining the open channel roughness
10. Practical problems the flow calculation
11. Structures on streams (weirs, bridges, culverts)
12. Hydraulic solutions crossing bridges and culverts with watercourses
13. The issue of ice phenomena on rivers
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with principles of hydraulics of open channels. In this course solves water flow in open channels, ie consistently uniform and non-uniform flow, sediment movement. The content of the course is also hydraulic solution of buildings on watercourses such as weirs, bridges and culverts. For solving hydraulic task is used 1D Software HEC-RAS. The course includes specific examples of completed projects.
The students will obtain knowledge about nonuniform steady flow and unsteady flow, about transport and dispersion of conservative component in rivers and about transport of sediment.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans