Mining and Preparation of Raw Materials (M)
FAST-BJ053Acad. year: 2019/2020
The specialized course includes the field of general mining issues, quarries, and the preparation of mineral raw materials for a wide application in building industry. In the first part the raw materials exploitation, the general rules for the plan preparation, development and mining of raw materials are discussed, including the disintegration of raw materials, the draft of blasts projecting and the proposal of raw materials transport. The part preparation of mineral raw materials includes the breaking of aggregates, classical and special preparation processes, rules for the raw materials preparation for the ceramic production. The theory of disintegration is presented together with the theory of classification. The chapter is concluded with the proposal of a disintegration line including the output and capacity calculations. The course of preparation is concluded by the theory of mixing (composition) of raw mixtures according to the classical and optimization principle. The subject doesn’t contain a part with lectures, the exercise contains a part with explanations, in rest time the practical calculations and project tasks are solved.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would manage the goal of the subject by acquiring knowledge on the problems of extracting raw materials in civil engineering, on methods of extracting the stones, gravel, sand, ceramic raw material, finishing methods for raw materials, quality evaluation of raw materials, composition of raw material mixtures.
The student who signs up for the course should be able to work with the basic concepts of general geology petrography, and mineralogy, possibly rock mechanics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Utilization of mineral raw materials in the building industry, protection of the environment.
2. Physical and mechanical properties of rocks, tests of aggregates, utility properties of rocks and effectiveness of exploitation.
3. Project of preparation, development and exploitation in the quarry, protected area.
4. Exploitation space, utilization of rocks, technology of raw materials mining.
5. Raw material resources, striping, mining methods for rocks.
6. Mass blasts, blast design, facilities for blasting work.
7. Muck transport, vehicle fleet, technology of treatment.
8. Technological treatment of raw material, disintegration, principles of machinery for treatment.
9. Grinding, grinding curve, effectiveness of the grinding process.
10. Technological parameters of grinding plants, circulation number, effectiveness of grinding.
11. Special preparation procedures, micro-grinding, separation.
12. Classification, raw material separation, grist parameters, Recycling of building waste, grounding, treatment, sieving. Recultivaton after excavation. Environmental impact, primary material sources.
Problems of mineral raw materials mining, effectiveness of exploitation and processing of raw materials in building industry; Methods of stone, gravel, sand and ceramic raw materials mining; methods of raw materials dressing, evaluation of raw materials quality; compounding of raw material mixtures.General regularities of processing methods; Technological properties of processing lines; Technological properties of raw materials and their testing.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans