FAST-XU052Acad. year: 2019/2020
Database technology, terminology, data models, relational concept, relational algebra and calculus.
Conceptual modeling, E-R diagrams, normal forms of the design. Data consistency and integrity.
Non-procedural language SQL and QBE, commands for creating and maintaining data structures, data manipulation and retrieval of information.
Basic algorithms of database engines.
Classification of database systems, network architectures, interface ODBC
Hosting language T-SQL, database cursor, stored procedures, functions and triggers.
Data analysis, information systems design, introduction to process analysis.
Example of information system in the three-layer technology and ISAM type system.
Institute of Computer Aided Engineering and Computer Science (AIU)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge for design and implementation of simple database application
Basic knowledge and using of operation system especially of filesystem.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Basic concepts, data base management systems, starting principles, database systems classification.
2. Data models, relation as the set and its representation in memory.
3. Relational algebra and calculus.
4. Conceptual modeling, database normalization, E-R diagrams and their transformation into the system data base.
5. Modeling of relationships between entities, primary and foreign keys, associative entities.
6. Data integrity and consistency, referential integrity, methods of enforcement.
7. Basic internal algorithms of databases, indexing, B-trees, hashing, levels of data locking.
8. The language SQL, commands of subsets DDL and DML.
9. Construction of the complex command SELECT.
10. Views, functions, stored procedures and triggers, hosting language T-SQL. Database cursor. Transaction processing and access control.
11. Modern database systems Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL, ISAM systems, network architecture, ODBC interface.
12.-13. Data analysis and implementation of the information system in three tiers architecture.
Basic principles of database technology explained on chosen database management system. Design and implementation of a simple database application.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.