FAST-CH052Acad. year: 2019/2020
The acoustic theory of an enclosed space. Direct and reflected sound wave field. Acoustic comfort criteria for buildings. Noise characteristics in the room acoustics, noise and vibration. Basic calculations of noise reduction, ways of noise reduction. Noise measuring instruments, measuring methods in the room acoustics.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge of room acoustics, properties of materials and surfaces (absorption, reverberance, resistance), design with respect to standards and regulations, which include the solution of minor and major problems of noise levels in working spaces and civil buildings.
Fundamentals of architectural acoustics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Sound field in an enclosed space, field of direct and reflected sound waves. Uniform distribution of sound pressure levels in rooms. Requirements for room acoustics - speech intelligibility, optimal reverberation time, diffusive sound field. Acoustics wave, geometric and statistical theory. Design of optimal size and shape of the room in accordance with the theory of wave and geometric acoustics.
2. Materials and components for room acoustics. Evaluation of reverberation time in terms of speech intelligibility, design modifications, detailed solution.
3. Room acoustics measurement methodology.
4. Room simulations in software ODEON.
5. Sound insulating properties of building constructions - principle of sound wave propagation, requirements for sound insulation. Measurement methodology for sound insulation properties of building constructions and elements.
6. Design methods and evaluation of building constructions in terms of sound insulation. Single and multi-layer constructions, internal and external building constructions. Materials and components for air-borne and impact sound insulation in vertical and horizontal constructions, detail solution.
7. Urban sound field, the noise sources in the outdoors, CZ Government Regulation No. 272/2011, about health protection against harmful effects of noise and vibration.
8. Methodology for evaluation of noise from traffic, simulation model, measurement methodology.
9. The evaluation methodology of stationary noise sources, calculation procedure.
10. Noise reduction requirements and solutions, urban and room acoustics levels, detail solutions.
To get a complete and detailed understanding of all acoustics topics. Solving the issue of noise at working places, noise study designs and noise reduction in a communal space. Designing in a field of room acoustics, an option of suitable absorptive materials.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans