Selected Chapters from Building Constructions 1
FAST-CH004Acad. year: 2019/2020
The aim of lectures are systems of flat, pitched and steep roofs. The course also provides an understanding of special systems of thermal insulations based on thermal radiation reflectivity and modern and unusual types of assembled roofing including solar roofing. The next part of the course will be aimed at modern waterproofing layers and thermal insulations and their connection to various types of roofs. The great attention is paid to construction details.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge of design of the exact, clear and particular flat or pitched roof above various thermal and moisture internal environment. Ability of the detailed design and material design of terraces, roof parking lots and green roofs.
Thermal-moisture processes in building envelopes, basic classification of roofs according to a pitch, shape, structure, serviceability, requirements etc. Outer and inner boundary conditions for roof designs above heated and unheated spaces. Drawing of roofs according to the valid standards.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Compositions of double and tripleroofs, safety waterproofing materials (micro-perforated, micro-porous and monolithic).
2. Thermal insulations of pitched roofs including materials based on thermal radiation reflectivity.
3. Roofing of sheet metal (smooth, sinuous, simulative roofing tiles), plastic, bitumen, stone, wood (boards, shingles), thatch, solar and exotic.
4. Pitched roof designing in mountain regions (securing of pitches roofs against snow slide and upward wind lift). Green pitched roofs.
5. Waterproof layers of flat roofs by bituminous felts (bitumen, bearing infill, surface finish) and their use.
6. Waterproof layers of flat roofs by plastic foils (thermoplastic, elastomer, thermoplastic-elastomer) their use and laying technology. Solar foils. Spread waterproof layer.
7. Ways of flat roof stabilization against the upward wind lift (sticking, stabilization layers, mechanical anchoring).
8. Roof terraces and traffic roofs (parking lots, heliports). Design principles, details.
9. Green roofs. Types of vegetation, design principles, details.
10. Reconstructions of flat roofs.
A design of the exact, clear and particular flat or pitched roof above various thermal and moisture internal environment. Knowledge of the detailed design and material design of terraces, roof parking lots, heliports and green roofs. The issue of details. A basic overview of the structural and building physics principles for reconstructions of single and double leaf flat roofs.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans