Pavement Diagnostics and Management (DST)
FAST-CM051Acad. year: 2019/2020
The function of roads, road user requirements and their transition to structural reliability requirements and characteristics of serviceability. External and internal sources of failure mechanisms, defining various failure mechanisms, their development and characteristics. Diagnostics of various failures of asphalt, cement concrete and block pavements with a design of maintenance and repair. Systems for the management of road networks.
In the seminars, students learn the field and laboratory methods used to determine the characteristics of serviceability, measurement and evaluation of the bearing capacity with the design of maintenance and repairs. The individual work of failure evaluation by visual inspection, design of pavement structure, evaluation of the measurement of the bearing capacity using falling weight deflectometer and design of maintenance and repair will be elaborated.
Institute of Road Structures (PKO)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is able to manage the goal of the subject by getting a complex overview over the quality system in road construction, particular technologies and necessary machinery, which are used for the construction, maintenance, rehabilitation and recycling of the road structures.
Knowledge of subjects: Highways I, II, Urban roads and knowledge of Road laboratory tests
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, importance of diagnostics, road user requirements and serviceability
2. Mechanisms of asphalt pavement failures
3. Mechanisms of cement concrete pavements and block pavings failures
4. Measurement of bearing capacity (FWD, CBR, static load test, light weight falling deflectometer)
5. Pavement management systems
6. Design of repairing of asphalt pavement layers
7. Design of repairing of cement concrete pavement layers and block pavings
8. Special problems of cement concrete courses, dowels, armatures, cement quality
9. Diagnostics of traffic flow
10. Traffic noise, measurement, evaluation and methods of reducing noise
11. Evaluation of skid resistance of pavements
12. Pavements recycling
13. Summary of pavement diagnostics issue
The knowledge of requirements, function and failure of road and street, diagnostics and design of maintenance, rehabilitation and recycling of road structures are the main goal.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans