Hydrobiology and Ecotoxicology
FAST-CC001Acad. year: 2019/2020
The basic hydrobiological expressions, biology of stagnant and running waters, self-purification processes in surface water, eutrophication, determination of saprobic sytem of surface water, biology of underground water, biological indicators of pollution.
The basic ecotoxicological principles, kinds of toxic effects, factors affecting toxicity, environmental monitoring, problem of xenobiotics, ecotoxigological biotests, legislation.
Institute of Chemistry (CHE)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will master the aim of the subject, i.e. basic knowledge of hydrobiology and aquatic ecotoxicology.
General knowledge on biology
Ability to do laboratory work
Ability to evaluate laboratory results: writing the reports, measurements data processing
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Basic hydrobiological and ecological concepts .
2. Hydrobiology of stagnant and running water, self-purification.
3. Trophic classifications of surface water.
4. Saprobic system of surface water quality assessment.
5. Biology of underground water.
6. Biological indicators of pollution.
7. Basic ecotoxicological concepts, kinds of toxicity, factors affecting toxicity.
8. Main pollutants in environment.
9. Effects of xenobiotics on organisms.
10. Sampling and sample preparation, factors affecting results.
11. Ecotoxicological biotests.
12. Evaluation of toxicity tests, interpretation of results.
13. Legislation. Audiovisual presentation of ecotoxicological biotests.
Basic knowledge of hydrobiology and aquatic ecotoxicology.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans