Computer Networks and IoT
FSI-VPN-KAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course deals with computer networks technologies, principles, standards and services. Network using, design and management are also introduced.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to use, design, install and manage computer networks as well as to develop internet-based applications.
The basic knowledge of using computers is required (files and folders operations etc.).
The C-language programming is desirable but not necessary.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Jamsa,K.-Lalani,S.-Weakley,S.:: Programování na Webu, , 0
Šmrha, P. - Rudolf, V.:: Internetworking pomocí TCP/IP, , 0
Davie,B.-Doolan,P.-Rekhter,Y.:: Switching in IP Networks, , 0
Hunt,C.:: Konfigurace a správa sítí TCP/IP, , 0
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The course-unit credit award requirements: active participation in seminars. The examination is oral.
Language of instruction
The main goal is to explain computer networks hardware and software. Student will be made familiar with networks using, design, installation and management.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The attendance at lectures is recommended; the attendance at seminars is obligatory. Education runs according to week schedules. The form of compensation for missed seminars is fully in the competence of the tutor.
Type of course unit
17 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction. Basic concepts of data communication.
2. Computer networks classification. Cables used in computer networks.
3. The Ethernet network.
4. Standards of computer networks, ISO/OSI reference model.
5. LANs interconnections. Bridge, router.
6. Routing, routing protocols and algorithms.
7. TCP/IP - introduction, history, addresses.
8. TCP/IP - protocols and services.
9. TCP/IP - IPv6.
11. Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, ATM.
12. Wireless networks.
13. Industrial networks.
35 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Structure and services of faculty computer network.
2. World Wide Web - web pages design using HTML language.
3. World Wide Web - cascading style sheets.
4. Web forms, dynamic web pages using CGI.
5. Dynamic web pages, server-side scripting using php language.
7. Development of the web database application.
8. Wweb server installation and cofiguration.
10. Router installation and configuration.
11. Domain Name Services - concepts ad configuration.
12. Writing simple program using TCP/IP communication.
13. Presentation of semester projects.
eLearning: currently opened course