FSI-OSZ-AAcad. year: 2019/2020
Lectures present aircraft design fundamentals. Airworthiness requests are defined Requirements on structure, detail of design of wing, fuselage, tail planes, landing gear and power mount. Examples and training stress analysis of different types of aircraft structures.
Next follow, basic aircraft materials. Technology of heat treatment. Forming techniques in aircraft manufacture. Riveting, welding and adhesive bonding of aircraft structures. Fundamentals of composites and sandwich structures manufacturing. Basic surface treatment procedures. Repair techniques.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will gain basic information about aircraft structures and certified requirements they have to meet.
Students acquire the knowledge necessary for evaluation of technological influence and design from technology point of view on the aircraft structure final performance.
Basic knowledge of physics, strength and elasticity of beams.
Basic knowledge of the structure, phase transformations and properties of metal structural materials. Basic technological principles and methods of materials processing - heat treatment, sheet forming, welding.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Čalkovský A.: Konstrukce a pevnost letadel, , 0
Cutler J.: Understanding Aircraft Structures, , 0
Roskam J.: Airplane design, , 0
Mertl Vl.: Konstrukce letadel, , 0
Slavík S.,Stavba letadel, ČVUT, 1999
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit requirements: participation in exercises (90% at the minimum).
Exam: written – tasks from aircraft strength.
Language of instruction
The goal of lectures is to familiarize students with basic aircraft parts and strength and function requirements.
To inform of aircraft manufacture specific attributes and methods and procedures, which are necessary for operation specialists.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
90% participation in exercises (80% at the minimum), elaborating a protocol, presentation of all tasks from exercises.
Type of course unit
52 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction. Aircraft loading. Load factor.
2. Aircraft requirements, flight envelope, load cases.
3. Open and close cross section, share centre.
4. Wing structure.
5. One-box structure. Several-box structure. Spar with thin web. Flaps, Ailerons.
6. Beam, buckling. Plate, buckling. Sandwich structure.
7. Vertical and horizontal stability and control surface. Fuselage.
8. Control systems. Power plant. Landing gear.
9. Basic aircraft materials, technology of heat treatment.
10. Sheet forming in aircraft manufacture.
11. Joining techniques – riveting, welding, adhesive bonding.
12. Manufacturing of composites and sandwich structures.
13. Surface treatment and repair techniques.
24 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Spar deflection calculation. Castiglian law.
2. Manoeuvre and gust envelope.
3. Open cross-section. Close cross-section.
4. One box beam structure.
5. Two-box beam structure.
6. Plates. Buckling, critical stress.
7. Spar with thin web.Rod, buckling - Euler, local buckling.
8. Aerospace series of material standards.
9. Elastoforming of aeroplane part.
10. Riveted structure, strength of riveted joint.
11. Influence of operation conditions on an adhesive bonded structure.
12. Repair technique of damaged structure.
labs and studios
2 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Participation at aircraft structure test.
eLearning: currently opened course