Heat and Mass Transfer
FSI-9PTLAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course is concerned with the following topics: Fundamentals of heat transfer and mass transfer. Steady and unsteady conduction of heat. Internal sources. Lumped capacity method. Finned surfaces. Semi-infinite bodies. Heat transfer by convection in boundary layers and duct flows. Free and forced convection. Turbulence. Analogy between heat and mass transfer. Evaporative cooling. Condensation. Boiling. Heat transfer by radiation. Radiosity and irradiation. Radiative properties of black bodies and real surfaces. Radiative heat transfer between two surfaces. Radiative heat transfer between three and more surfaces. Radiation by gases. Overall heat transfer coefficient. Fundamentals of heat exchanger design. NTU-effectiveness method for the solution of heat exchangers.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will learn how to define tasks, boundary and initial conditions and correct physical parameters. They will learn how to employ dimensionless analysis. They will be able to solve real problems like cooling fuel elements, finned tubes and/or cylinders of internal combustion engines, cooling turbine blades, calculate flow rate of condensing liquid, heating by radiation in rooms, etc.
Fundamentals of fluid mechanics (laminar and turbulent flow) and fundamentals of thermodynamics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
M.Jícha, Přenos tepla a látky, CERM Brno,
F. P. Incropera, D. P. DeWitt: Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, , 0
F. Kreith, M. S. Bohn: Principles of Heat Transfer
Latif M. Jiji: Heat Transfer Essentials, begell house, inc., 2002
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The exam will consist of a written part and an oral one.
Language of instruction
The course objective is to provide students with the information on fundamentals mechanisms of heat transfer by conduction, convection and radiation and combined modes.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Since it is not obligatory for studentsn to be present at lectures, the presence will not be checked.
Type of course unit
20 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Fundamentals of heat transfer and mass transfer. 1D Steady conduction of heat. Internal sources.
2. Conduction-convection systems. Finned surfaces.
3. Unsteady conduction of heat. Lumped capacity method.
4. Semi-infinite bodies.
5. Heat transfer by convection. Boundary layers. Turbulence
6. Heat transfer by convection for bluff body. Tube bundles.
7. Mass transfer - similarity with heat transfer. Evaporative cooling.
8. Forced convection in duct flows.
9. Free convection.
12. Heat transfer by radiation. Radiosity and irradiation. Radiative properties of black bodies and real surfaces. Radiative heat transfer between two surfaces. Radiative heat transfer between three and more surfaces.
13. Radiation by gases.
14. Overall heat transfer coefficient. Fundamentals of heat exchanger design. NTU-effectiveness method to the solution of heat exchangers.
eLearning: currently opened course