Computer Modelling - 3DS Max
FSI-YPVAcad. year: 2019/2020
.In the course "Computer Modelling - 3ds Max" are taught the basics of working with Autodesk 3ds Max software and possibility for creating a digital model. In the classroom, students will gain the knowledge needed to create 3D models from polygonal mesh, mostly with the help of subdivision surfaces, with an focus on free creation and creation according to the draft. Students will be able to prepare their 3D models for 3D printing and learn the necessary procedures.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course „Computer Modelling – 3ds Max“ concures to preview courses and intensify knowledge at the domain of 2D and 3D graphic. Anew it is aimed to polygonal modeling and preparation model for 3d printer. Student is able to create own design in 3d software or create 3d digital model from existing real model.
The course complements the courses „Computer Graphics - Photoshop“, "Computer Modelling - Rhinoceros 3D". Therefore, it assumes a basic work with 2D and 3D graphics and other programs mentioned. Expecting basic work with 2D and 3D graphics and other programs mentioned.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
MURDOCK, Kelly. Autodesk 3ds Max 2014 bible: [kompletní průvodce profesionálního grafika]. Indianapolis: Wiley, 2014. ISBN 978-111-8755-143.
CALMETTES, Julien Martínez. Best of 3D: virtual product design. Barcelona: Monsa, c2005. ISBN 84-964-2915-6.
3ds Max Help. 3ds Max Help [online]. Autodesk, 2013. Dostupné z: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/
GAHAN, Andrew. 3ds Max: výukový průvodce tvorbou postav, vozidel, budov a prostředí. Brno: Computer Press, 2009. ISBN 978-80-251-2491-8.
KŘÍŽ, Jan. Mistrovství v 3ds Max: [kompletní průvodce profesionálního grafika]. Brno: Computer Press, 2010. ISBN 978-80-251-2464-2.
SIMMONS, Jason. Kompletní příručka pro designéry: virtual product design. V Praze: Slovart, 2009. ISBN 978-807-3911-515.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught in the form of seminars which are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Graded course-unit credit requirements: attendance in lessons, meeting assigned projects deadlines, practical test verifying the knowledge of work with the software and creative work ability.
Resulting evaluation consists of evaluations on projects, tasks and a test. In total it will be possible to aquire 100 points. Resulting classification will be defined by the ECTS scale.
If some of the projects as well as a test are awarded less than half of the maximum pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed".
According to the article No. 13 of Study and Examination Rules of Brno University of Technology ECTS evaluation degree scale is used. . If some of the projects are awarded less than 50 pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed". The course is evaluated with the following grades: ECTS EVALUATION DEGREES / PTS. RATING / NUMERIC RATING: A / 100 - 90 / 1 / Excellent; B /89 - 80 / 1,5 / Very good; C / 79 - 70 / 2 / Good; D / 69 - 60 / Satisfactory; E / 59 - 50 / Sufficient; F / 49 - 0 / 4 / Failed.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to learn the fundamentals of polygonal modeling in Autodesk 3ds Max. Adoption the basics of modeling in Autodesk 3ds Max, students will acquire the ability to create own designs without any limitation directly on the computer. Acquainted with the possibilities that polygonal modeling offers, with the creation of complex models and modeling according to real artwork or model. Students will gradually work on its design project with output options, including the preparation model for 3D printing.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Compulsory attendance at seminars. Education runs according to the week schedule. The way of compensation of missed seminars is specified by the tutor.
Type of course unit
39 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Autodesk 3ds Max – introduction to the environment of Autodesk 3DS Max, philosophy of work, creating a new project, layout of the main tools, files and objects
2. Autodesk 3ds Max - creating a hierarchy of objects, modeling primitives, polygonal modeling method, Mesh Smooth transformation
3. Autodesk 3ds Max – creating scene, set up environment, lights, cameras, working with materials, basic mapping
4. Autodesk 3ds Max - modeling basics, rules of subdivision surfaces, creating simple objects using subdivision surfaces
5. Autodesk 3DS Max - increase the knowledge of subdivision surfaces modeling tools
6. Autodesk 3DS Max - preparation for modeling according sketch, preparation scene, creating blue prints
7. Autodesk 3DS Max - modeling by sketches using subdivision surfaces and finishing the model
8. Autodesk 3DS Max - preparation for own design modeling
9. Autodesk 3DS Max – working on project, extend possibilities of editing tools
10. Autodesk 3DS Max - modeling own project, use of OpenSubdiv modifiers
11. Autodesk 3DS Max - work on the final project - modeling detail and using digital sculpting tools
12. Autodesk 3DS Max - familiarity with the export for 3D printing, rules and settings
13. Autodesk 3DS Max - completion of the final project and its preparation for 3D printing