Computer Graphics - Illustrator, InDesign
FSI-YPIAcad. year: 2019/2020
Students will become familiar with Adobe Illustrator and InDesign. They learn to work with basic and advanced tools for creating applications 2D vector graphics (drawing curves, use layers, work with text, transformation masks). The subject will lead to the creation of 2D graphics, multi-page documents, illustrations and prints.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will acquire basic knowledge to work in Adobe Illustrator and InDesign, whereupon they will be able in the next years to create quality graphical outputs of their projects (technical reports, presentations, posters, presentations, theses).
Students are expected to have elementary knowledge of work with PC, Windows and the ability of creative thinking.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Příručka uživatele aplikace Illustrator. Příručka uživatele aplikace Illustrator [online]. Adobe Systems Software Ireland, 2017. Dostupné z: https://helpx.adobe.com/cz/illustrator/user-guide.html
Adobe Creative Team: Adobe Illustrator CS5, ISBN: 9788025132234
Příručka uživatele aplikace InDesign. Příručka uživatele aplikace InDesign [online]. Adobe Systems Software Ireland, 2017. Dostupné z: https://helpx.adobe.com/cz/indesign/user-guide.html
Pírková, K., Kadavý, D.: CorelDRAW X4, ISBN: 978-80-251-2490-1
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught in the form of seminars in computer labs, which are focused on practical application of the learnt knowledge.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Graded course-unit credit requirements: attendance in lessons, meeting assigned projects deadlines, practical test verifying the knowledge of work with the software and creative work ability. Resulting evaluation consists of evaluations on projects, tasks and a test. In total it will be possible to aquire 100 points. Resulting classification will be defined by the ECTS scale. If some of the projects and test are awarded less than half of the maximum pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed". According to the article No. 13 of Study and Examination Rules of Brno University of Technology ECTS evaluation degree scale is used. . If some of the projects are awarded less than 50 pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed". The course is evaluated with the following grades: ECTS EVALUATION DEGREES / PTS. RATING / NUMERIC RATING: A / 100 - 90 / 1 / Excellent; B /89 - 80 / 1,5 / Very good; C / 79 - 70 / 2 / Good; D / 69 - 60 / Satisfactory; E / 59 - 50 / Sufficient; F / 49 - 0 / 4 / Failed.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course "Computer Graphics - Illustrator, InDesign" is to introduce students with work programs Illustator and Indesign. Work in these programs will lead to the creation of 2D graphics design for the printed, electronic and multimedia graphics
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Compulsory attendance at seminars. Education runs according to the week schedule. The way of compensation of missed seminars is specified by the tutor.
Type of course unit
39 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Adobe Illustrator - familiarity with the environment of Adobe Illustrator, philosophy of work, creating a new project, the layout of the main tools, files
2. Adobe Illustrator - creating objects from basic geometric shapes, creating and editing objects with curves, object properties - strength, fillings, gradient, transparency
3. Adobe Illustrator - layers, transformation and aligning objects, Pathfinder, working with raster graphics objects
4. Adobe Illustrator - working with text, multipage documents, document preparation for print, export
5. Adobe Illustrator - sample project: designer portfolio
6. Adobe Illustrator - vector bucket tool, vectorization of raster images, effects
7. Adobe Illustrator - definnition of custom color swatches, brushes, symbols, spray, clipping mask, opacity mask
8. Adobe Illustrator - advanced transformation tools, transformation using envelopes, using transformation network perspective, smooth transitions between objects
9. Adobe Illustrator - export, prepress, concepts of "bleed", "Overlay" "spot colors", "transparency flattering", "Font Embedding", "color profile", using Adobe Acrobat
10. Adobe InDesign - familiarity with the environment in Adobe InDesign, philosophy of work, creating a new project, the layout of the main tools, files, multipage document preparation
11. Adobe InDesign - a tools for creating graphical objects, properties, transformation, text paragraphs, work with embedded graphic objects, cropping
12. Adobe InDesign - master pages, character and paragraph styles, text rate, flow, GREP
13. Adobe InDesign - creating lists, automatic text, anchors, document preparation for print, export, print brochures
eLearning: currently opened course