Computer Graphics - Photoshop
FSI-YPGAcad. year: 2019/2020
Students will become familiar with Adobe Photoshop. They learn to work with basic and advanced tools (drawing, working with layers, retouching, transformations, masks). The subject will lead to the creation of 2D graphics, especially printed, large graphics and Web graphics.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will gain knowledge in work with Adobe Photoshop, whereupon they will be able in the next years to create quality graphical outputs of their projects (pictures in technical reports and presentations, presentation posters, visualization).
Students are expected to work with basic PC, Windows and the ability of creative thinking.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Adobe Creative Team: Adobe Photoshop CS5, ISBN: 9788025132258
FAULKNER, Andreu a Conrad CHAVEZ. Adobe Photoshop CC. Indianapollis: Computer Press, 2016. ISBN 978-80-251-4741-2.
SIMMONS, Jason. Kompletní příručka pro designéry: virtual product design. V Praze: Slovart, 2009. ISBN 978-807-3911-515.
Uživatelská příručka k aplikaci Photoshop. Uživatelská příručka k aplikaci Photoshop [online]. Adobe Systems Software Ireland, 2017. Dostupné z: https://helpx.adobe.com/cz/photoshop/user-guide.html
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through exercises in computer labs, which are focused on practical substance.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Graded course-unit credit requirements: attendance in lessons, meeting assigned projects deadlines, practical test verifying the knowledge of work with the software and creative work ability.
Resulting evaluation consists of evaluations on projects, tasks and a test. In total it will be possible to aquire 100 points. Resulting classification will be defined by the ECTS scale.
If some of the projects and test are awarded less than half of the maximum pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed".
According to the article No. 13 of Study and Examination Rules of Brno University of Technology ECTS evaluation degree scale is used. . If some of the projects are awarded less than 50 pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed". The course is evaluated with the following grades: ECTS EVALUATION DEGREES / PTS. RATING / NUMERIC RATING: A / 100 - 90 / 1 / Excellent; B /89 - 80 / 1,5 / Very good; C / 79 - 70 / 2 / Good; D / 69 - 60 / Satisfactory; E / 59 - 50 / Sufficient; F / 49 - 0 / 4 / Failed.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course "Computer Graphics - Photoshop" is to introduce students with basic tasks in Photoshop. Work in this program will lead to the creation of 2D raster graphics design for the printed, electronic, and multimedia graphics.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Compulsory attendance at seminars. Education runs according to the week schedule. The way of compensation of missed seminars is specified by the tutor.
Type of course unit
39 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Adobe Photoshop - familiarity with the environment of Adobe Photoshop, philosophy of work, creating a new project, the layout of the main tools, files, color schemes
2. Adobe Photoshop - working with layers, tools to create free graphics, brush, eraser, filler
3. Adobe Photoshop - advanced settings of brushes, custom brushes, brush import, use pressure and simulated pressure for properties of working tools
4. Adobe Photoshop - working with selections, tools for manual selection, area selection, selection by color, advanced tools for selecting, storing and reloading selections
5. Adobe Photoshop - retouching tools, based on brushes, tools for retouching areas, the combination of graphics across layers
6. Adobe Photoshop - color corrections and image adjustments, changes in color image mode
7. Adobe Photoshop - filters and effects
8. Adobe Photoshop - working with text, text properties, text blocks, transformation, export
9. Adobe Photoshop - Smart Objects, linked files, groups of layers
10. Adobe Photoshop - raster and vector masks, vector objects, paths, channels
11. Adobe Photoshop - Layer Styles, special types of layers, adjustment layers, Smart Filters
12. Adobe Photoshop - 3D tools, 3D layers, importing and exporting 3D geometry and mapping
13. Adobe Photoshop - export options, tools to prepare the graphics for the web, animation