Geometric Objects Drawing
FSI-YKGAcad. year: 2019/2020
The subject leads students to the basic theoretical and practical knowledge necessary to master the art of drawing. Geometric objects form the basis of most of designed units and their correct depiction is necessary to make proportionally correct drawings following the rules of perspective projection. Practicing linear drawing according to the model defining the contour of individual geometric bodies, compositions of geometric bodies and objects corresponding to their shape. Gradually drawing with basic definition of lights and shadows. The course is a preparation course for design workshops.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Obtaining basic knowledge of drawing technique by drawing geometric objects and objects corresponding to basic geometric bodies. Gaining knowledge of perspective projection principles, correct realization of proportions and simple shading.
Only knowledge from a secondary school of non-art orientation is assumed. The student's interest in the chosen subject, which is significantly related to the development potential in the chosen field is important.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
BALLESTAR, Vicente B. a Jordi VIGUÉ. Skici: kompletní průvodce skicováním. Čestlice: Rebo, 2005. ISBN 80-7234-431-5.
DE REYNA, Rudy. Základy kresby a malby: jak kreslit a malovat co vidím okolo. Praha: Svojtka & Co., 2004. ISBN 80-7352-097-4.
DE REYNA, Rudy. How to draw what you see. New York: Watson - Guptill, 1996. ISBN 0-8230-2375-3.
MORSCHECK, Karl-Heinz. Perspektiva. Ostrava: Anagram, 2005. ISBN 8073420619.
PARRAMÓN, José María. Perspektiva pro výtvarníky: správné užití perspektivy v kresbě a malbě. České vyd. 2. Praha: Jan Vašut, 1998. ISBN 8072360418.
PILE, John. Perspective for interior designers. New York: Whitney Library of Design, 1989. ISBN 9780823040087.
SMITH, Ray. The artist's handbook. 3rd ed. London: Dorling Kindersley, 2009. ISBN 1405348771.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The subject is taught in the form of seminars, which are focused on practical mastering of drawing skills with individual consultations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Graded course-unit credit requirements: Attendance at exercises, meeting assigned projects deadlines. Resulting evaluation consists of evaluations on tasks (drawings). In total it will be possible to aquire 100 points. Resulting classification will be defined by the ECTS scale.
According to the article No. 13 of Study and Examination Rules of Brno University of Technology ECTS evaluation degree scale is used. The course is evaluated with the following grades: ECTS EVALUATION DEGREES / PTS. RATING / NUMERIC RATING: A / 100 - 90 / 1 / Excellent; B /89 - 80 / 1,5 / Very good; C / 79 - 70 / 2 / Good; D / 69 - 60 / Satisfactory; E / 59 - 50 / Sufficient; F / 49 - 0 / 4 / Failed.
Language of instruction
Practical workshops focusing on construction of a simple mass in plane with emphasis on the correct realization of proportions. Attention is paid to the perspective projection and following its principles in drawing. The aim is to practice the correct depiction of simple objects of various positions in perspective, including their shading and drawing by model.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Compulsory attendance at seminars. Education runs according to the week schedule. The way of compensation of missed seminars is specified by the tutor.
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Work with strokes, use intensity - hue. Expressive possibilities of lines – vertical, horizontal, diagonal lines and their combinations and curves - circle, ellipses and their combinations;
2. Basics of perspective, placement of artwork in plane, size, proportions, composition;
3. Contour drawing of a composition of cubes and blocks, single-sided perspective, by model;
4. Contour drawing of a composition of cubes and blocks, two-sided perspective, no shading, by model;
5. Contour drawing of composition of rotational objects, by model;
6. Light and shadow / core and cast /, by model;
7. Drawing of a composition of all types of basic geometric bodies, simpler position, shaded drawing, by model;
8. Drawing of a composition of all types of basic geometric bodies, more complex positions, shaded drawing, by model;
9. Drawing of a composition of geometric bodies with a uniform surface, according to the model;
10. Drawing of a composition of geometric bodies with a different surface, according to the model;
11. Geometric objects, Drawing in double scale, by model;
12. Geometric objects, drawing in half-scale, by model;
13. Drawing of a composition of geometric bodies with a drapery, by model, evaluation of the semester / strengths and weaknesses of individual works / works /.
eLearning: currently opened course