Safety of Electrical Devices
FEKT-MPA-BEZAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course is an introduction to the issue of safe operation of electrical medical devices. Students will gain knowledge of the principles, legal provisions, safety regulations and technical standards in the field of safety in electrical engineering. Particular emphasis is placed on the specifics of medical equipment and the potential electrical and other risks, which may occur during their operation.
The course prepares students for the exam in terms of Notice No. 50/1978 Coll. of proficiency in electrical engineering. After a successful test before the commission (optional part of the course), graduates obtain the worker's qualifications for independent activity.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
After completion of the course student will be able to:
- explain and apply the principles of protection against electric shock,
- explain protection against overloads and short circuits, and protecting against surges,
- define protection againts the effects of fire from electrical equipment,
- describe and identify possible electrical and other risks associated with the operation of medical electrical devices,
- apply first aid in case of electric shock including use of AED.
Optionally, students may graduate to qualify for independent work on electrical medical devices in terms of safe work and safe operation.
The student should be able to:
- apply Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws in single-phase and three-phase circuits;
- explain the concepts of circuit analysis in harmonic steady state (e.g. impedance, effective and mean value).
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Notice No. 50/1978 Coll. of proficiency in electrical engineering (CS)
IEC 61010-2-040:2005 - Safety requirement for electrical equipment for measurement, control and laboratory use (CS)
EN 50110-1 ed. 3 - Operation of electrical installations – Part 1: General requirements (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and practical training in first aid. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The subject assessment is based on two written tests: max. 40 points in the control test and max. 60 points in the final test. When gain 75 % of the possible points in each test student can optionally pass an oral examination before a committee to obtain a certificate of proficiency in electrical engineering according to §6 of Notice 50/1978 Coll. - higher qualifications for independent work on the electrical system up to 1000 V.
Language of instruction
1. Czech and European legislative, technical standards.
2. Principles of electrical engineering. Basic laws of electric circuits. Alternating current, three-phase circuits.
3. Electric arrangement, electrical installation, electrical device mounting, conductor and terminals notation.
4. Classification of external influence, locations class in viewpoint of electric shock hazard, protection of electrical device.
5. Effects of electric current on human organism. Protection against electric shock.
6. Fire safety of electrical installation and medical electrical devices.
7. Safe product, safe installation, safe operation, terms of checks and inspections.
8. Protection of electric and electronic devices against lightning and overvoltage.
9. Medical electric devices, special requirements.
10. Special diagnostic and therapeutic medical devices, safety operation, protection from the harmful effects
11. Laic first aid in case of electric shock, application of AED
To learn the principles of safe design and safe operation of electrical medical equipment as part of professional erudition. Indicate the specific requirements of medical installation and equipment, to highlight the potential risks in the operation of diagnostic and therapeutic medical devices.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at given lectures is mandatory for those who wish to obtain a certificate of proficiency in electrical engineering (after exam before commissions).
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MPA-BIO Master's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer