Selected Chapters of Electronics
FSI-REAAcad. year: 2019/2020
Important passive RLC circuits, resonant circuits, pulse transformers. Passive electronic components. Basic active electronic components (diodes, bipolar transistors, MOSFETs, IGBTs) - types, properties. Voltage and current regulators. Simple amplifiers and oscillators with transistors. A transistor in a switching regime. Operational amplifiers and comparators - operation, basic connections, properties. Drivers for power switching transistors. Selected integrated circuits and their usage.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Design of simple passive and active filters, transistor amplifiers and operational amplifiers, comparators, PWM modulators, signal generators, voltage and current controllers. Knowledge about transistors operating in a switching regime, basic knowledge necessary to study pulse converter techniques.
Basic knowledge in theoretical electrical engineering and mathematics (differentiation, integration, complex numbers operations).
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Patočka M., Vorel P.: Řídicí elektronika - pasivní obvody
Novotný V., Vorel P., Patočka M.: Napájení elektronických zařízení (skriptum UREL FEKT VUT)
Patočka M., Vorel P.: Řídicí elekronika - aktivní obvody
Ayers J. E.: Digital integrated circuits, Analysis and design. CRC PRESS, N.Y., 2004, ISBN 0-8493-1951-X.
Crecraft D., Gorham D.: Electronics. Nelson Thornes Ltd., U. K., 2003, second edition, ISBN 0-7487-7036-4.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical skills related to the lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for participation in the final accreditation test:
Obtaining at least 15 points from the exercise tests.
1st test: 10 points
2nd test: 20 points
Final accreditation test: 70 points
Language of instruction
Students will obtain a basic knowledge about analysis and design of electronic circuits used especially in industrial applications.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at the practical training is obligatory.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. RC and RL first order circuits, second order RLC filters
2. Resonant circuits, transformer, pulse transformers
3. Passive electronic components
4. Basic active electronic components
5. Linear model of a bipolar transistor, h-parameters, y-parameters
6. Voltage and current controllers
7. Transistor amplifiers
8. Bipolar transistor, MOSFET and IGBT in a switching regime
9. Operational amplifiers - principle, types, properties, basic connections, comparators
10. Harmonic oscillators RC and LC
11. Astable flops
12. Drivers for power transistors
13. Selected integrated circuits
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Serial and parallel resonance, RLC low-pass filter
2. Phase-shift circuits, compensated resistive divider
3. Basic knowledge about pulse transformer design
4. Amplification stages with transistors
5. RC oscillators
6. LC oscillators
7. Bipolar transistor and MOSFET in a switching regime
8. DC voltage regulators
9. DC amplifier with an operational amplifier
10. Comparators with hysteresis and without hysteresis
11. Signal generators with operational amplifiers
12. Driving circuit for a power transistor MOSFET and IGBT
13. Backup power source 24V=/230V~/600VA - demo practice