English in Aviation
FSI-OL0Acad. year: 2019/2020
The course makes the students acquainted with the basic data about aerodynamics, the aircraft, its structure and instrument equipment. The other task of the subject is to practise 4 main language skills, to repeat and enrich their knowledge of grammar and vocabulary, and to improve the students´ communication ability in common English.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course enables the students to learn about atmosphere, forces acting upon the aircraft, about main parts of the aircraft, about its engine and instrument equipment. They also learn about the different structure of the language used only in aviation. The students can improve their communication ability in common English, too.
Knowledge of grammar, vocabulary and communication ability in common English - intermediate level (level of knowledge gained after passing the 7AZ examination = B1)
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Mgr.J.Kudličková: Studijní materiály: Aircraft, , 0
A.Matthews, C.Read: Tandem, , 0
Walcyn-Jones,P.: Pair Work One, Two, , 0
Henry Emery, Andy Roberts: Aviation English for ICAO compliance, Macmillan, 2008, ISBN 978-0-230-02755-8
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Language instruction as an extension of basic professional curriculum.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Conditions for obtaining the course-unit credit:
Active participation in the class. Credit test.
Language of instruction
The aim is to make the students familiar with the elementary terminology of air traffic, air traffic control and aircraft in such an extent that enables them to apply their knowledge in practice. Another task is to enrich their knowledge and improve their communication ability in common language.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
If a student does not fulfil the conditions for obtaining the course-unit credit, the teacher may (in justifiable cases) state compensatory conditions.
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Listening, understanding (alphabet, telephoning, announcements...)
2. Nouns, Adjectives, Expressing quantity, conv.:Pair Work
3. Conversation, Logical games, Subject and Object Questions
4. Tenses: Present, Past, Expressing Future, Conditional
5. Present Perfect and Pluperfect Tenses, conv.:Pair Work
6. Infinitive, gerund, conv.: Tandem
7. Active and Passive Voices, conv.: Pair Work
8. Time Clauses and Clauses of Purpose, conv.: Tandem
9. Conditional clauses, conv.: Task Solution
10. U1 - The Atmosphere
11. U2 - Lift and Drag
Aviation: Incursion - Section 1,2
12. U3 - The Main Parts of the Aircraft
Aviation: Incursion - Section 3,4
13. U4 - Wing, Tail Unit, Fuselage, course unit credits