Heat Treatment of Metalic Materials
FSI-WSTAcad. year: 2019/2020
The subject "Special technigues of materials treating" brings knowledge of progresive methods of bulk and surface heat and chemical heat treatment of metals. It deals with aplications of non coventional means of heating, heat-difusional processes like sintering and hightemperature isostatic pressing and others. The modern driving systems of technology plants, essentials of the quality controll in the heat and chemical heat facilities and the ekological aspects of the used technologies are described. The subject amplifies the "Technology and technigues of heat treatment of metals" (DTZ) and materials aimed subject in the earlier years of study.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The passing through a subject WST study, brings to the students the wiew over the modern technigues and technologies used for the metalic materials treating from of the point of wiew of their principles, use, the properties achieved, industrial conditions of production, economy aspects, quality controll systems basics and some environmental questions. The subject graduates should be able to assort the proper combination of material and suitable treating, with respect to function of the machine part or tool, including the economy and environmental aspects of the production.
The material science, physical metalurgy, engineering materials and the heat treatment technigues in the extent lectured duering the passed study, with rlationship to physics, hydromechanics and mathematics
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Ryš, Cenek, Mazanec, Hrbek: Nauka o materiálu I/4. Železo a jeho slitiny. Academia Praha 1975
Pluhař a kolektiv: Nauka o materiálech. Vysokoškolská učebnice. SNTL 1989
Dorazil a kolektiv: Nauka o materiálu 1 . Skripta VUT FS v Brně
Technologie der warmebehandlung von stahl. Eckstein, Hans Joachim. VEB Deutscher Verlag fűr Grundstoffindustrie Leipzig, 1977. 577 s.
Physical metalurgy Handbook. Sinha Kumar Anil. Mc Graw Hill Handbooks 2002. 712 s. ISBN 0-07-057986-5
Skočovský, P. – Durmis, I.: Technológia tepelného spracovania kovov. Skripta VŠDS v Žilině, Alfa 1984
Carburising.Geoffrey Parissh. ASM Handbook 1999; 658 s. ISBN 0-87170-6660
Practical Nitriding. David Pye. ASM 2003. 568 s. ISBN 087170-791-8
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
To acquire a credit, a student should to take part at all of the seminars and laboratory works, his active approach to the study and all of the written protocols refering, especialy with respect to the knowledge of their meaning. Eventualy absence should be compensated with the aditional work on base of the teachers compliance. The examination is take placed in written and verb noun form. A student should show a good overwiew and some detail knowledge of the topics examined.
Language of instruction
The aim of the subject is to improve the student´s knowledge in the field of the advanced technologies used for achieving of the needed materials properties, namely in the high performance aplications, an to show to the students the industrial point of wiew of the aplication of physical and teoretical principles formerly presented duering their study. The other task of the subject is to acquaint the students with the Quality systems controll basics and the ekological questions bound to the technigues described.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The seminars and laboratory works are obligatory. In case of the absence, it is necessary to compensate the theme after the teacher compliance. In case of the absence which is planed (some serious family merits f.eg.), it is necessary to agree the matter with the teacher beforehand.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. The overwiew of the heat and chemical heat treating types; The resumption of the physical principles, material and technology respects
2. The nitriding. Its principle, suitable steels,structure and properties of the nitriding layers
3. The gas nitriding; Conditions, use, advantages and disadvantages. The Lehrer´s diagram; The process controll
4. The nitriding based derivative processes; Nitrocarburisation; Nitrooxidation; Nitrosulfonisation; The plasma nitriding; The salt bath nitriding and nitrocarburisatin; The tenifer process.
5. The carburisation; The resumption of the basic principles and technigues; The low presure carburisation; The pulse vacuum carburisation; The plasma aided carburisation
6. The boronizing; Principles, structures, technigues, materials, use
7. The nonconventional heating methods; The energy aplied technigues.
8. The high temperatures plasma technigues
9. The laser beam technologies
10. The electron beam technologies
11. The resistance heating; Electromagnetic heating
12. The Quality Management Systems (QMS) and heat treatment of metals
13. The metals heat treatment in condition of "Up to date" machinery
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. The residual stresses
2. The rools for designing of machine parts from point of wiev of heat treatment
3. The temperature measurement and controll in heat treatment
4.,5. The excursions in Job Shop hardening room Q.I.P. Brno; Atmosphere technigues
6.,7. The excursions in Job Shop hardening room Schmolz and Bickenbach Hustopeče; Vacuum technigues
8.,9. The excursions in Job Shop Laser plant of Kuličkové šrouby Kuřim
10. The samples and basic experiments in electron beam laboratory
11. The test and its evaluation
12. The faults and risks of heat and chemical heat treatment; The proces FMEA
13. The practise series interpretation. The credit