Technical Diagnostics II
FSI-XT2Acad. year: 2019/2020
The subject is focused on the most sophisticated knowledge in technical diagnostics of machines and instrumentation. It builds on the facts mentioned earlier in those subjects who are focused on the diagnostics and this subject develops them. Attention is mainly devoted on the problems of vibrodiagnostics, noise diagnostics, radiography diagnostics, tribodiagnostics, electrical diagnostics and remote machine diagnostics. The meaning and the application of multi-parametric diagnostics are shown. By completing this course and subject Technical Diagnostics I, eventually the subject of Basics of Technical Diagnostics, students will acquire comprehensive knowledge of technical diagnostics of machines and equipment. The findings are also based on the content of the Industry 4.0 initiative and Maintenance 4.0.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
A student acquires comprehensive and complex knowledge of the diagnostics of technical systems which can apply in industrial mechanical/electrical engineering practice to solve different problems related to the aforementioned topics.
Knowledge of mathematics and physics at a level of university study. Also, the knowledge of the aforementioned special field in a scope of the previous bachelor study as well as Technical Diagnostics I subject is expected.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
KREIDL,M; ŠMÍD,R. Technická diagnostika. Senzory-metody-analýza signálu. 1. vydání. Praha: BEN-technická literatura, 2006,408 s. ISBN 80-7300-158-6. (CS)
HAMMER,Miloš. Metody umělé inteligence v diagnostice elektrických strojů. 1. vydání. Praha: BEN – technická literatura, 2009. 400 s. ISBN 978-80-7300-231-2. (CS)
HELEBRANT,F; ZIEGLER,J. Technická diagnostika a spolehlivost, II. Vibrodiagnostika. 1. vydání-dotisk. VŠB – Technická univerzita Ostrava, 2005. 178 s. ISBN 80-248-0650-9. (CS)
BLACK, H., DOCKRELL, W. Diagnostic Assessment in Technical Education: A Teacher's Handbook. 1980. 75 s. ISBN 978-0901116253. (EN)
THOMPSON, M.; VAN DEN BRUEL. Diagnostic Tests Toolkit (EBMT-EBM Toolkit Series). Wiley-Blackwell. 2011. 112 s. ISBN 978-0470657584. (EN)
DUFFUAA, S. O., RAOUF, A. Planning and Control of Maintenance Systems. Modelling a Analysis. 2. vydání. Springer International Publishing AG, Switzerland, 2016. 348 s. ISBN 9783319371818. (EN)
MYSHKIN, N. K, MARKOVA, L.V. On-line Condition Monitoring in Industrial Lubrication and Tribology. 227 s. Springer, 2017. ISBN 9783319611341. (EN)
MOHANTY A.R. Machinery Condition Monitoring: Principles and Practices. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA, 2014. 282 s. ISBN 9781466593053. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The subject consists of lectures and tutorials. The lectures are focused on the basic principles and the theory. Attention is also concentrated on the application of knowledge which the students have gained in the subject of „Technical Diagnostics I“. The tutorials are both focused on the practice of the lectured theme and based on the specific and real examples.
Laboratory exercises are realized exclusively using machines and equipment existing in industrial practice. The same applies to the use of diagnostic tools, methodologies and evaluation software. Therefore, the student will be acquainted with the specific activities of industrial diagnostics, possibly also maintenance technicians. Depending upon the possibilities, the lectures of the specialists from industrial practice as well as the excursions in the companies, whose activities relate to the subject, are also organized.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The subject consists of exercises and tutorials. Exercises are required. The tutorial is completed with the credit (granted in the 13th teaching weekend). To gain the credit, 100% attendance, student’s activity in tutorials and the protocols processed from all laboratory exercises and approved by the teacher are required. The examination consists from a written test, and the student‘s maximum scoring rate can be up to 100. The evaluation of test results is given by the classification scale according to ECTS.
Language of instruction
The objective of the subject is to acquire the theoretical and practical knowledge of the diagnostics of technical systems. The subject continues in Technical Diagnostics I.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The student attendance is checked in tutorials (presence and activity). The 100% participation in tutorials is required, and in case of absence, the student will be obliged to compensate, the alternative attendance will be specified by the lecturer.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Diagnostics of heat, diagnostics of concentrations – concentrations, liquid density, humidity
2. Vibrodiagnostics – introduction, exciting force, vibration response, basic quantities, sensors, multi-functional sensors, and smart sensors
3. Vibrodiagnostics – vibration measurement
4. Vibrodiagnostics – frequency analysis
5. Vibrodiagnostics –non-equilibrium, misalignments and sliding bearings
6. Vibrodiagnostics – rolling bearing, ODS method, notes to modal analysis
7. Noise diagnostics – introduction, diagnostics of machines: acoustic pressure/output level, acoustic filters, machine noise, machine noise generators, noise criteria, European directives and standards
8. Diagnostics in radiography– introduction, visual and optical tests
9. Diagnostics in radiography – magneto-inductive, electro-inductive tests and others
10. Tribodiagnostics of lubricants and machine nodes
11. Electrodiagnostics –Introduction, methods
12. Electrodiagnostics – machine node condition monitoring
13. Remote machine diagnostics, on-line machine diagnostics plus Industry 4.0, multi-parametric diagnostics
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction, administration affairs, safety at work - instructions. Safety at work – tests, theoretical principles of diagnostic measurements
8. Noise diagnostics
11. On-line machine diagnostics
12. On-line machine diagnostics. Multi-parametric diagnostics