Defects and Failures of Buildings
ÚSI-ERVAPAcad. year: 2019/2020
The subject is aimed at the overview of defects and breakdowns of buildings and perfection of education allowing their identification and solution. Causes of failures, defects and breakdowns on different structures. Options for decreasing number of defects. Means of connection of old and new concrete with brickwork and wood including calculations. Improvement of service life of objects. Solution of breakdowns - fires, explosions, etc. Court litigations. Strengthening of all main bearing parts - calculation, implementation, the newest means of reliability improvement - bonding with steel elements, lamellae CFK, textiles, HELIFIX, fastening, etc. Remedy of defects on waterproof constructions. Modifications of working and contraction joints. Influence of aggressive environment. Demolition of structures. Recycling of concrete and brickwork. Removal of supporting pillars. New floors under current structures. Examples of reconstruction of foundations, ceilings, roofs, industrial, engineering, community and water structures. Strengthening of brickwork. Excursions, movies, participation in experimental research. Technology of construction and reconstruction of concrete bridge structures - substructure and foundation engineering, substructures. Basic principles of design and structural design.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students gain knowledge with dominant effect on quality and longevity of basic frame structures (concrete, brick, mixed) in stage of projection, building construction and building maintenance. Students will be acquainted with methods of maintenance and strengthening of frame structures.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Witzany, J. a kol.: PDR – poruchy, degradace a rekonstrukce, Praha 2010, ISBN: 978-80-01-04488-9 (CS)
Bažant, Z., Klusáček, L.: Statika při rekonstrukcích objektů, Brno 2006, ISBN: 978-80-7204-692-8 (CS)
Drochytka, J., Emmons, P.H., Jeřábek, Z.: Sanace a údržba betonu v ilustracích, Brno 1999, ISBN 80-7204-106-1 (CS)
SANACE, mezinárodní konference Brno, 1996 - 2006 (CS)
REKONSTRUKCE STAVEB, ERA, 2006 (CS)
DAMSTRUC (2005, 2002, 2000) Brazílie, Sborníky mezinárodních konferencí (EN)
Vady a poruchy staveb, Dasshofer Verlag, 2003 - 2006 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching is carried out through lectures and seminars. Lectures consist of interpretations of basic principles, methodology of given discipline, problems and their exemplary solutions. Seminars particularly support practical mastery of subject matter presented in lectures or assigned for individual study with the active participation of students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Attendance in seminars, successful elaboration of one written test and elaboration of semestral work are conditions for gaining the credit. Exam is written and oral.
Language of instruction
1. Defects andbreakdowns, their division.
2. Causes of defects and breakdowns on different objects.
3. Options for decreasing number of breakdowns.
4. Objects’ service life lengthening. Solution of defects and breakdown cases - fire, explosion, etc.
5. Strengthening of all main bearing parts, calculation, implementation, the newest means of reliability increase.
6. Strengthening of all main bearing parts, calculation, implementation, the newest means of reliability increase – follow-up
7. Strengthening of all main bearing parts, calculation, implementation, the newest means of reliability increase. – follow-up
8. Examples of defects and breakdowns – their repairs.
9. Examples of substructure reconstruction.
10. Examples of ceiling and roof reconstruction.
11. Examples of reconstruction of industrial and engineering buildings.
12. Examples of reconstruction of community and water buildings.
13. Strengthening of brickwork.
Goal of this subject is to gain knowledge for consolidation of building in safe conditions including suggestion of arrangements leading to removal of defects and breakdowns of buildings.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences