Analysis of Rad Accidents II
ÚSI-EDAN2Acad. year: 2019/2020
Extension of the theoretical basis of road accident analysis to the original knowledge of the subject Road accident analysis I and application of these methods to specific types of road traffic accidents.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
After completing the course the student will be able to analyze the documents for the analysis of the collision of vehicles, decide on their quality and possibly propose methods to supplement them. He / she will be able to evaluate measurement data during vehicle maneuvers and crash tests, and subsequently to conduct a comprehensive analysis of the accident process, determine the technical cause of the accident and address the possibilities of avoiding the collision by individual participants.
In addition to the accident analysis, the student will have experience with the use of modern techniques used in driving and crash tests. Students with these skills can find employment among others in research organizations or in the departments of development of car manufacturers or passive safety elements for the automotive industry.
Knowledge of basics of vehicle movement mechanics, laws of conservation, Newton’s laws and their application
- compulsory prerequisite
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching is carried out through lectures and seminars. Lectures consist of interpretations of basic principles, methodology of given discipline, problems and their exemplary solutions. Seminars particularly support practical mastery of subject matter presented in lectures or assigned for individual study with the active participation of students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credit conditions - obtaining at least 150 points out of 200 possible (2 × 50 continuous test in about the 5th and 9th week of the semester, 100 per semester project).
Exam will consist of written part and oral part.
Language of instruction
1. Mechanics of collision of vehicles
2. Assessment of EES and momentum-impuls equilibrium diagram
3. Graphical methods of road accident analysis - MDRHI, rhomboid section method, energy ring
4. Graphical methods of road accident analysis - application on concrete examples including frontal collision with rotation
5. Graphical methods of road accident analysis – DRHI and EES method and band penetration method
6. Motorcycle accidents
7. Passenger car accidents - intersection accidents
8. Truck accidents, animal accidents and accidents in reduced visibility
9. Accidents and overturning of vehicles
10. Expert opinion on road accident analysis, interpretation of conclusions
11. Insurance fraud
12. Simulation program and spreadsheet - their importance and support for road accident analysis
13. Biomechanics and personal injury, crew movement, consultations with forensic medicine expert
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the basic principles of impact, graphical and numerical methods of solving the impact and their application to specific solved partial tasks with subsequent use in a complex analysis of accident events. They will also be acquainted with methods of measurement with the aim of obtaining data for dealing with collision of vehicles or movement of crew in the vehicle.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance in seminars checked with attendance list.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EID_P Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory