Structure and Properties of Inorganic Materials II
FCH-MCO_SAM2Acad. year: 2019/2020
Principles and axioms of rational thermodynamics, thermodynamic data, thermodynamic databases. Equilibrium in system of one compound in multiphase system, chemical and phase equilibriums in heterogeneous system, reaction of gaseous phase with one component condense phases equilibrium of liquid solution with gas, chemical and phase equilibriums among condensed phases. Binary, ternary, quaternary systems. Construction of phases diagrams. Phase interface, pure compounds, mixtures.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge of phase equilibrium thermodynamics.
Expression of phase equilibria using phase diagrams.
Knowledge of the design of phase diagrams.
Ability to construct crystallization paths in phase diagrams.
Ability to work with Richardson diagrams.
Ability to derive the structure of the material from the phase diagram and the history of the materials.
Basic knowledge from inorganic and physical chemistry and structure and properties of solids
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Lein E.M. et all. : Phase Diagrams for Ceramists, Vol. 1 - 10, ASM International, Materials Park, OH 1995. (CS)
Šatava V. : Fyzikální chemie silikátů I. VŠCHT Praha, Praha 1991. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of Lecture - 2 teaching hours per week, seminars - 2 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credits is granted on the basis of ability to work with thermodynamic databases, phase diagrams.
Examination is focused on testing of ability to applicate of knowledge in stability of materials forecasting and on the work with phase diagrams.
Language of instruction
1. Basic concepts and axioms of rational thermodynamics, thermodynamic data and databases
2. Equilibrium of one substance in several phases
3. Chemical and phase equilibria in heterogeneous systems
4. Reaction of the gaseous phase with single-component condensed phases
5. Equilibrium of liquid solution and gas phase
6. Phase equilibria in binary systems
7. Phase equilibria in ternary systems
8. Phase equilibria in quaternary systems
9. Practical procedures for the construction of phase diagrams, crystallization paths
10. vant Hoff diagrams, phase interfaces
Adaptation of basic knowledges from thermodynamics to analysis of relation of structure and properties of inorganic materials in terms of phase equilibria.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Exercise teaching is controlled by ongoing tests.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NKCP_CHM Master's
branch NKCO_CHM , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme NPCP_CHM Master's
branch NPCO_CHM , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme CKCP_CZV lifelong learning
branch CKCO_CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory